SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Rhonie
Hello I am new to the forum and want to know if a device is built or can be built to be able to work with any device that has a USB powered port.
I have a couple of DVD players that have a USB receptacle on the front of them along with a couple of DVR's not to mention all the other devices. I am wondering if a USB exist that will allow network files (audio and Video) to play on any device that has a powered USB port and that the devise already has the ability to play video and audio files, however, not networked files? I may be stupid, but I don't think it would be difficult to develop a drive that will do this. After all they will read and show the files on a USB drive plugged into them, and I have wireless USB adapters, and Androids on the TV's, and wifi tuners on my Stereos. So how hard would it be to write the code to do this? :think:
By Rhonie
Yes, it pretty much the same with exceptions. The difference is that radios do not have an HDMI input. So the video and file listing would need to show on the screen, rather than having another connector to plug into HDMI. Like I put in my post that I have Androids, and 5 Android MK802's and above that basically operate the same is Chromecast. Now I also know that they make wifi thumb drives with storage in them. However, even though you can play files from the thumb drive, you cannot transfer files across wifi, so you can play them. You have to copy the files to an SD card to play them, and then insert it into the thumb drive. Might as well just copy the files directly to the thumb drive to play them.