SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By fkatzenb
Please, for the love of God, we need to have the audio industry be revolutionized by Open Source in the same way those associated with Arduino, Ada, Seed, Beagle, 3D printing, etc, have done so. I am not the man to do it because of the advanced programming and hardware knowledge, but here is how I would love to see it done by taking tips from existing projects like the ones above.

Here is a high level list of thoughts
  1. Users can build based on their needs by adding just the components they need and the design leverages the stereotypical shields to add features or components,
  2. The focus is centered around 100db+ SNR designs, 24-bit/192kHz audio, and low latency techniques
  3. Examples of shields to bring in audio would include WiFi/Bluetooth shield that acts as a sound card over Ethernet for computer applications, fiber/coaxial input shield to bring in digital audio, and even Midi shields
  4. The audio output shields would be in the form of backpacks that would stack from below the uC and would contain the DACs and preamps. It is likely that each board would contain left and right channels. Different output boards could be balanced vs. unbalanced, etc.
  5. The main uC communicates with the above shields over a high speed multi-node databus for the audio input shields and another one for the output shields. The uC is likely to be a FPGA design and would incorporate a certain amount of DSP capabilities. The goal would be that the digital audio would come in, be processed as required, and forwarded to the appropriate audio output shield.
  6. The possibilities are pretty cool, potentially allowing for multichannel, multizone, studio work, audiophile, etc.
Last edited by fkatzenb on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fkatzenb
Change the Audio industry with open source... flexible products without the high end price.
By yamitenshi
If you use an RPi you can play any format you want for $50. I believe MP3 player shields are about $20, and if you want open source audio formats, there are plenty of open source formats with well-documented codecs that should be relatively easy to use.

I don't see what the problem is. There will always be proprietary formats. The way I see it, you're just asking for a high-end shield with a low-end price. Sorry to say, you get what you pay for. You don't pay for a Toyota and expect a Ferrari.
By fkatzenb
Not what I am trying to do. I am not trying to take job of a phone, computer, RPi, etc. I am trying to change the way we go from those players to the speaker.
By lyndon
You're being rather cryptic!

It sounds like you're trying to get people excited about creating OSW versions of instruments, sound recording, mixing and post-processing equipment, etc. in the way that e.g., Open MoCo tries to do for camera motion control. But I'm not sure that is what you are trying to say.
By yamitenshi
fkatzenb wrote:Not what I am trying to do. I am not trying to take job of a phone, computer, RPi, etc. I am trying to change the way we go from those players to the speaker.
A set of wires and a 3.5mm jack usually does the trick fairly nicely. Maybe an opamp if you need more volume.

Seriously, I have no idea what you're getting at. You're speaking of open formats that can already be played for very little money (no additional cost if you have any kind of audio device). You're speaking of cheap high-quality DSPs, which don't exist for the simple reason that good DSPs aren't the easiest things to make. What exactly are you trying to "revolutionize" and how does Open Source come into play?
By yamitenshi
fkatzenb wrote:Not what I am trying to do. I am not trying to take job of a phone, computer, RPi, etc. I am trying to change the way we go from those players to the speaker.
A set of wires and a 3.5mm jack usually does the trick fairly nicely. Maybe an opamp if you need more volume.

Seriously, I have no idea what you're getting at. You're speaking of open formats that can already be played for very little money (no additional cost if you have any kind of audio device). You're speaking of cheap high-quality DSPs, which don't exist for the simple reason that good DSPs aren't the easiest things to make. What exactly are you trying to "revolutionize" and how does Open Source come into play?