SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By benberfield
I have a Sparkfun RGB Serial Matrix (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/760) and I have been pouring over code trying to piece together what I think is a pretty simple animation (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I have been able to get the Sparkfun sample code up and running using an Arduino UNO without any problems, I just cant seem to wrap my head around whats needed for this animation.
I have two of these Matrices linked together and all I need to do is have them count up from 1 to 1000 and stop at a few specific numbers in between. The quirk with the numbers is that they need to be 3x5 pixels in size. Also, the numbers only need to be white as bright as they can go. I would love it if the numbers could scroll up as they go but it is not necessary.

If there is anyone who could help me out with this I would be grateful. I have been trying to get this for a couple days now and am feeling pretty defeated.

thanks,
By Mee_n_Mac
I would recommend working with just a single matrix, getting that to display any number btw 0 and 99 first. Then daisy-chain them. The datasheet is a bit sparse on the mapping btw pixels and the order of the data sent. But it is clear on what the data is. Each pixel is controlled by a single data byte, whose value corresponds to the color to be displayed. Of particular interest to you is that a value of 0x00 (a byte of all 0's) means the RGB LED at that pixel location is off. A value of 0xFF (a byte of all 1's) means the R, G, and B LEDs (at that pixel location) are all fully on, giving you a white pixel. You send (via SPI) 64 bytes for the 64 pixels. As an experiment you might try sending 0xFF followed by 63 bytes of 0x00 and see which pixel lights up. Then change the code to send the first 8 bytes to be 0xFF followed by 56 bytes all 0x00, and see which 8 pixels light up. Once the pixel mapping is known you're halfway there.