SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By gmcjetpilot
What is the best way to connect the "USB". I assune you need the "FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V” Part number DEV-09716"
Will it accept a DB9 connection direct to the computer? Seems a cheap way to go. You can power with the DC jack. Correct?

Second question, how do YOU use the serial connection? Is it useful. WIN7 what software do you use?

As you can see below I have 18 buttons. I made this for a DJ friend and I don't think he will need the serial connection,
but I wanted to at least try and put that functionality in it. Here are some pics:

By Ross Robotics
Why do you want to connect a USB? There is nothing that you can do with it..

You will find the Serial protocol starting on page 4. http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/dat ... -02-01.pdf

You will need to connect the TX and RX to your PC through a Serial connection and use any Serial terminal program to issue commands.
By Ross Robotics
You only need that if you want to reprogram the firmware. If you want to communicate with it, you only need to hook a the GND, TX and RX to a uController..