SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Father of Boys
I am new to designing Electronics Projects.
went to the NOCO Maker Fair and had an Idea.
My Truck is wrapped in graphics, including a picture of my dog on the Tail Gate.
Now I want my Dog to bark as people walk by in the parking lot.

I would like to use the vehicle 12vdc as power, need a sensor, accelerometer so that it turns off while in motion, and a a board that records and plays.
Way too many options without knowing what I am really doing.

Any ideas or directions would be great.
By skimask
PIR sensor, MP3 trigger, regulator for 12v->5v, relay (normally closed type, or one with SPDT contacts) that'll shut off power to the sensor/trigger/player when the key is on (e.g. engine running)
My thinking is that using an accelerometer to shut it off while moving is just too much work, easy for me, probably not so easy for you, but again, too much work.
By skimask
Not a speaker...one of those surface transducers (can't remember exactly what they're called). Turn the sheet metal of the whole tail gate into a speaker :D
By Mee_n_Mac
Yeah, one of these guys (?) and a mono audio "power" amp. :twisted:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10975
Surface transducers give you the awesome power to turn almost any surface into a speaker. They're essentially just a speaker except instead of a cone, the coil is attached to a pad that conducts the vibration into whatever you press it against. Hook it up to an audio source and press it against the nearest table, wall or cardboard box.
By Mee_n_Mac
No Arduino needed in either. The IR sensor just needs to provide a connection to ground upon detecting a person. Most do via an "open collector" type of output.