SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By pat2
I have a project where I need to read some sensors similar to the way a mouse works. i.e, I'll be moving an instrument that will be turning some gears or wheels or whatever, and I need to read this via a hardcoded link to my laptop.
Can anyone give me a rough guide to the easiest way to approach this?
If I want to go via a USB port, are there usb kits available that also include maybe A/D D/A converters? Should I look at arduinos, or is that over engineering it?
I've done some electronics, and a lot of programming, but I've never had to create an interface to a computer before so if someone can give me some pointers to help me keep from going down the wrong route, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks
Pat.
By waltr
The arduinos approach would be the easiest and isn't really over kill.
It could be done with less but would be a much harder project.
By Renate
You definitely want to use USB.
You'll want a small micro with USB support, like an ATMega32u4.
You don't actually want a mouse because on most systems it would move the cursor like a mouse.
You want an HID, Human Interface Device (which actually covers a lot of non-human ground).
You connect either a pot to an ADC pin or a biphase pickup to a pair of GPIO pins.
On the host side, you write an application to find the right VID/PID and read the HID reports coming in.
You won't have to write a driver, only a user mode bit of code.

Yes, there is a bit of stuff involved with this, but once you get it down, you'll be swimming in HID devices.
I've got 3 on my desk right now! :P