SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Bill2k
I need some help and guidance. I am designing a camera mount for my motorcycle that will tilt the camera in the opposite direction of my lean to keep the camera even with the horizon. I have been able to accomplish this on my bench using a 5DOF IMU but I'm hoping to be able to use cheaper IMU from sparkfun. Any ideas?

Also... since I haven't been able to test it in a real world application yet, do you think the g-forces induced on the IMU during a corner will affect the calculated angle of lean?

Thanks in advance, Bill
By Mee_n_Mac
Bill2k wrote:... do you think the g-forces induced on the IMU during a corner will affect the calculated angle of lean?
W/o knowing your algorithms, hard to say. Simple usage of the accelerometer as a tilt sensor is guaranteed to fail. But IMUs are used to make AHRSs that do work.
By Mee_n_Mac
First I looked very quickly at the KF described at TJK. It seemed geared towards his balancing robot case. I didn't follow his too simple (IMO) formulation for the system state. In any case you should be able to test the IMU by doing some simulated banked turns w/the IMU in your hand. Even if your bank and turn and translation of the IMU doesn't match the physics of the bike, it doesn't have to. Your head won't rigidly follow your body in all turns either. You'll still want the tilt compensation to work.

As for less complicated, I'd think a 3 axis magnetometer should be able to tell you tilt all by itself ... in theory.