SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By scutler19
I am tasked with creating a system that will need to be able to recognize fish fished out of a lake. Typically, I look to Arduino for any type of project like this. However, after reading about some other projects, I'm getting the feeling that Arduino doesn't have the processing power needed for image processing. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best development board to use and which camera could be used and easily interfaced with the board?

I've looked at this option, http://www.finboard.org/videos/introduc ... rce=Eloqua. It seems like it would be a great all in one type of option. Has anyone worked with anything like this before?

Thanks!
By scutler19
Yeah. I'm sorry. I should have been a little more specific. Species identification. I'll also need to be able to determine size, but I feel like that's going to be a lot less of a challenge compared to the species part of the project.
By jremington
I feel like that's going to be a lot less of a challenge compared to the species part of the project.
Agreed. Object recognition in images is the research at the very forefront! Have you ever wondered why Google Image Search is so difficult to use?
By scutler19
I originally envisioned a system with small sized electronics (like Arduinos) and figured that would be the cheaper route anyway, but I guess there really aren't any reasons why I couldn't go with a notebook. Do you have any suggestions for specific recognition software?
By Mee_n_Mac
scutler19 wrote: Do you have any suggestions for specific recognition software?
No I don't but I do strongly suspect that this route is the one to follow first. You might, after experimenting with the software, find that it can be run on some of the ARM based dev boards. Then again I might ask why ? Where is the data to be used first ? If it's not in the boat as the fish is caught, then perhaps all that's needed is a board with 1" squares drawn on it and a digicam. The fish gets posed on the board and photographed. All the data is later D/L'ed to a central DB where the PC(s) can access it and do the processing, producing and publishing all the desired data.

Now that I think about it, seems like the type of thing that's already been done. Is Google your friend ? :?: :think: