Debug PIC18F26K20 with Pickit3

Find out how to setup your programmer's software and how to solve many common problems.

Moderator: phalanx

treez

Debug PIC18F26K20 with Pickit3

Post by treez » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:09 am

Hello,
Our software works on some of our PCBs but not others.
We program them with pickit3 and use ICSP.
Can we just plug the Pickit3 into the board and debug it like that?

When i try to debug I am getting "Connection failed" error in MPLAB X IDE. Do you know why?
I have the 5 pin header in the pickit3 and its connected to the PCB.

I actually programmed the board with this connector/wire assembly so i know the 5 lines are connected (MCLR,Vdd,Vss, PgD,PgC).

In order to do debugging, do i have to program the PIC18F26K20 with the ".hlx" file instead of the normal ".hex" file?

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Re: Debug PIC18F26K20 with Pickit3

Post by phalanx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 am

treez wrote:Can we just plug the Pickit3 into the board and debug it like that?
Yes. There is no difference in connections for debugging. It uses the same ICSP interface.
When i try to debug I am getting "Connection failed" error in MPLAB X IDE. Do you know why?
Is the PICKit-3 failing to connect to the PIC or is MPLABX failing to connect to the PICKit-3?
In order to do debugging, do i have to program the PIC18F26K20 with the ".hlx" file instead of the normal ".hex" file?
You don't have to do anything special other than click the "Debug Main Project" button in MPLABX.

Since you have multiple questions floating in this subforum about the same project, it would help if we could get some responses from you in the other threads.

-Bill