New to forum need help with a projest

Find out how to setup your programmer's software and how to solve many common problems.

Moderator: phalanx

ronb28

New to forum need help with a projest

Post by ronb28 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:36 am

Hello have a project i would like to under take but need some help with the picaxe which i am new to so please be kind.
When young i use to stay with my auntie who had a wind up clock which chimed on the hour for the hour (eg 4 times for 4 o clock)
would like to reproduce the chimes using a picaxe (the tick tock would be the next project) on a 12 hour cycle and would like to
ask some questions if i could ? I see that connecting the chip to a PC is very straight forward with few parts required
I would also add that iam only really need the chime and would not look or use a visual display

What picaxe chip would be best for this job ? is a picaxe the right thing for the job ????
Do the chips have an on board clock ?
If yes how accurate is it ? (a reset every month is ok by me)
Would like to run a small solenoid for the chime any suggestions ?
How long would the pin need to go high to run the solenoid circuit ?
Other than the 5 volt regulated power what else is required to run the circuit

Managed to get a copy of the picaxe editor and getting my head around the Basic programing format ok
I would like some assistance (not done for me ) but wish to learn more about picaxe and progress on to
bigger and better projects
Thanks for your time
Ron ronb28@hotmail.com

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Re: New to forum need help with a projest

Post by phalanx » Wed May 03, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Ron,

Everything you want to do is readily accomplished with even the most basic PICAXE (08M2) and a real time clock like the DS1307. There are a lot of examples of similar clock projects using the PICAXE that would only require a little modification for your purposes. One such example can be found here: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projec ... -a-picaxe/

While any of the PICAXE parts will work, I would consider getting a larger part so you can add additional functionality in the future if you choose to do so. Besides PICAXE, the hobbyist community by far favors Arduino boards now. Either will work but Arduino is far more prevalent with lots of different models and shields being readily available. The native programming language for PICAXE is BASIC and Arduino uses a modified form of C so there are differences in how you approach programming them.

Driving a solenoid is also not very difficult. I've attached a picture of a simple driver circuit that would work on any microcontroller platform. L1 is the coil of the solenoid, D1 is a diode that protects the transistor from back EMF caused by the solenoid being turned off, M1 is a N-channel MOSFET which acts as a switch for the solenoid, R1 limits current going into the gate of the MOSFET, and R2 is a pull-down resistor to keep the MOSFET turned off unless the microcontroller commands it to be on. Timing of the solenoid is something you will have to measure and experiment with since it will vary depending on the solenoid you use.

In the end, I've never actually used a PICAXE but I know they are a great educational tool. Being an electrical engineer, I tend to start with raw microcontrollers and work with them from the ground up. I have limited experience with Arduino and what I do have came from trying to help out my friends who are getting into electronics as a hobby. I do know that both platforms are pretty easy to use and you should be able to get up to speed relatively quickly on either setup.

-Bill

ronb28

Post by ronb28 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 am

Hi Bill
thanks so much for the reply and if i was to use a picaxe (larger part) than the 08m2 which one would you think is a good choice ?
And is it as easy as connecting the 4 oins on the pic to the correct serial ports for programing
Regards Ron

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Thu May 04, 2017 8:33 am

Since any PICAXE can be used for your project, the choice is yours to make as to which one to use. For me, I would probably buy the 40X2 just to have the larger part for experimenting with other projects.

For programming, you should only need power and 2 serial lines connected. If you are breadboarding these and you end up using a part larger than the 08m2, keep in mind that you may have multiple power connection points.

-Bill