Basic setup for development?

Find out how to setup your programmer's software and how to solve many common problems.

Moderator: phalanx

Jidis

Basic setup for development?

Post by Jidis » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Hello,

I worked with these years back and have sadly forgotten most of what I knew. I'm thinking about getting back into it and am not up to date on the current chips and access/programming options.

When I was doing it, it was mostly on the 16F84A. I wasn't crazy about the process of having to desocket the chip every time and move it back and forth to the programmer just to test minor changes in the code. I'd like to work on a basic chip without a ton of pins, as one of the things I'm interested in learning is expanding i/o with shift registers and such, but I'll need to stick with just the PIC's i/o until I know how.

I'd like a board with a few switches and LEDs, along with a pinheader to replace them with outboard circuits. I'm OK with home etching and can do basic layout if there's only a schematic, but if there's already a small development board for cheap, I can do that too. It sounds like people are still doing parallel port programming for this stuff. I have a programmer which can do ICSP, but I've never tried and it's already sort of clunky. If there's a basic dev board with a built-in programmer, that might be ideal.

Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks!

George

Hendy643

Re: Basic setup for development?

Post by Hendy643 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:44 am

I'm by no means an expert. I'm definitely in the beginner camp.

I can only advise you as to what I have found to be accessible for me. I went for the the PICKit 3 starter kit. It fulfills what I've discerned to be your requirements. It comes with a reasonably simple MCU, some LEDs, a switch and a pot. Once your comfortable with the simpler MCU, it also contains a more advanced one too. It has a reasonable area to allow you to add your own circuits.

The programmer is not built in, but it does have debugging capabilities and if you get the right standalone programmer it can perform simple 3 channel logic analysis also. It is capable of carrying out all these functions on every MCU made by Microchip. With an rj11 adapter, it can be used for ICD and ICSP.

The IDE is free, as is the compiler. The compiler is limited unless you buy it, but only in its optimisation. If you decided to move to 16 or 32 bit, the IDE remains the same but you download different compilers. All of which are as the 8 bit compiler. Free with optimisation limitations.

The documentation, I've found to be very thorough with examples that walk you through the various functions. Each one being an extension of the example before it.

http://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentToo ... O=dv164130 the kit.

Hope this is some help

stevech
Support Volunteer

Post by stevech » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Jidis wrote:Hello,

I worked with these years back and have sadly forgotten most of what I knew. I'm thinking about getting back into it and am not up to date on the current chips and access/programming options.

George
You could restart by using a contemporary ARM Cortex M3, M4 which are really cheap now, as PC boards. Like $20 for complete PCB with CPU that has 256K flash, 64K RAM, huge selection of I/O. Rather than a 1980's PIC. Or a PIC32 which is on a track to nowhere.

Many choices out there: Google kewords
teensy 3, Beagleboard, and many more.

skimask
Support Volunteer

Post by skimask » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:34 pm

^^^^^^ +1

I'd get a STM32F4 Discovery dev board, or maybe a Teensy 3.1. ~$20 for either one. (the Teensy has the somewhat "advantage" of being able to be driven in the Arduino environment, but I digress...)

Wish I had started off with one of those wayyy back when...or even moved up/over to them when they first came out. Old habits = hard to unlearn.
I ignore "one post wonders".

Dave Mueller

Post by Dave Mueller » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Under $100 will get you a lot of board these days.
http://www.gooligum.com.au/tutorials.html The tutorials get recommended a lot, he sells a board to go with them.
There's also the PIC EL III, made by a ham radio operator. Google AA0ZZ and PIC EL. That one has assembly language tutorials.
I've seen a lot of people recommend skipping the low end PICs and getting a more capable one to learn with, the cost difference is insignificant these days.

stevech
Support Volunteer

Post by stevech » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:48 pm

Dave Mueller wrote:Under $100 will get you a lot of board these days.
http://www.gooligum.com.au/tutorials.html The tutorials get recommended a lot, he sells a board to go with them.
There's also the PIC EL III, made by a ham radio operator. Google AA0ZZ and PIC EL. That one has assembly language tutorials.
I've seen a lot of people recommend skipping the low end PICs and getting a more capable one to learn with, the cost difference is insignificant these days.
Wouldn't seem like many people in 2014 would want to learn an ancient PIC12F1501.

skimask
Support Volunteer

Post by skimask » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:08 pm

stevech wrote:Wouldn't seem like many people in 2014 would want to learn an ancient PIC12F1501.
Heck, I did't want to develop on it when it was new!
I ignore "one post wonders".

Mee_n_Mac
Support Volunteer

Post by Mee_n_Mac » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:19 pm

skimask wrote:
stevech wrote:Wouldn't seem like many people in 2014 would want to learn an ancient PIC12F1501.
Heck, I did't want to develop on it when it was new!
http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sou ... &play=true