Accessing PIC-MINI-WEB through internet

Find out how to setup your programmer's software and how to solve many common problems.

Moderator: phalanx

mingyam

Accessing PIC-MINI-WEB through internet

Post by mingyam » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:11 pm

i've explored with the PIC-MINI-WEB and i am able to connect to PIC-MINI-WEB using my PC through a router... thanks to sparkfun forum members for their helpful guideline...

anyway, my intention of buying PIC-MINI-WEB is to access the PIC-MINI-WEB through internet connection rather than through a router... is it possible for PIC-MINI-WEB to be accessed through internet connection?

btw, i can't program the PIC-MINI-WEB using ICD2 as stated by some members in this forum.. is there any alternate method?

riden
Support Volunteer

Post by riden » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Yes it is possible to put the board on the Internet.

If you want to put the PIC-MINI-WEB directly on the net and your ISP provides DHCP services, you can configure the gateway setting on the board to point to your ISP.

However, what you probably want is to have your router port-forward to your card (so you can use the Internet connection on your other PCs). Establish a fixed IP address in your router's IP range (for example 192.168.1.254) I have the PIC-WEB and I use the serial port and boot into the configuration program. Once you have a fixed IP address, configure your router to direct requests to your card. On a LinkSys WRT54, you'll find the settings under the "Application and Gaming | Port Range Forward" tab. I tell the router to direct incoming port 80 requests to 192.168.1.254.
Ralph

mingyam

Post by mingyam » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi riden,
thanks for the advice.. i will try the method u suggested...

however, if i have a PC located in other location, (not sharing the same internet connection), how do i actually can access to the webpages in the PIC-MINI-WEB using a web browser? any advices?

riden
Support Volunteer

Re: Accessing PIC-MINI-WEB through internet

Post by riden » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:18 pm

mingyam wrote:btw, i can't program the PIC-MINI-WEB using ICD2 as stated by some members in this forum.. is there any alternate method?
The board supports ICSP. However, my K149 programmer doesn't do low voltage programming, so I modified my PIC-WEB, inserting a diode in series with the pull-up resistor on the MCLR line. It seemed the prudent thing to do, and it worked fine for me. I see that the PIC-MINI-WEB has a mini ICSP connector, so you would need one of those.
Ralph

Philba
Support Volunteer

Post by Philba » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:06 pm

mingyam wrote:Hi riden,
thanks for the advice.. i will try the method u suggested...

however, if i have a PC located in other location, (not sharing the same internet connection), how do i actually can access to the webpages in the PIC-MINI-WEB using a web browser? any advices?
that's not a simple question to answer. How is the PMW connected to the internet? firewall? direct to a modem of some sort? company LAN?... describe it in some detail please.

mingyam

Post by mingyam » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:35 pm

well. my main interest of application of PMW is to monitor some devices for example at home...
i'm trying the simplest case where i put the PMW at home and connect it to internet through a router auto dial internet broadband... then i wan to access to the PMW webserver webpages through a web browser at PC which is located at different location that has internet connection (also router auto dial internet broadband)...

any advice?

riden
Support Volunteer

Post by riden » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:55 pm

That is what I do with my PIC-WEB. If your ISP allows incoming connections on port 80, set up your router as I explained in my earlier post. You then hit the board by surfing to your home computer's IP address. Many ISPs will change your IP address randomly, so a good approach is to use a dynamic DNS service like DynDNS.org. They will provide you with a free subdomain that will point to your PC (i.e. MyPWM.homeip.net). You configure your router to report your current IP to DynDNS.org so when it changes, DynDNS will always have the up-to-date information. On a WRT54, you configure DDNS using the "Setup | DNNS" menu item.
Ralph

mingyam

Post by mingyam » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:34 pm

thank for your advices.. guys... it help a lot...
i'll try it later

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 am

Sorry if the thread ID numbers changing messed anyone up. I did some forum maintenance that unintentionally caused this topic to disappear from the forum. All should be good now.

-Bill

oden

Post by oden » Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 am

riden wrote: inserting a diode in series with the pull-up resistor on the MCLR line. It seemed the prudent thing to do, and it worked fine for me.
What sort of diode are you using here?

riden
Support Volunteer

Post by riden » Sun May 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Any small signal diode will do. The one I used was a 1N4148.
Ralph