Help with chinese development board

Find out how to setup your programmer's software and how to solve many common problems.

Moderator: phalanx

ArakelTheDragon

Help with chinese development board

Post by ArakelTheDragon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:44 am

Good day! I got this chinese development board, but I do not know how to set the jumpers and so on, to be able to program with it and test the MCU after the programming.

I am using PIC16F690, PICKit2. This is an ICD2 programmer seat.Image

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Re: Help with chinese development board

Post by phalanx » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:30 am

Your image link is not working. Please fix that and try to provide as much information as you can about the board so we can help you.

-Bill

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:46 am

I can see that picture but unfortunately there still isn't enough information to say exactly what's going on. It looks like an adapter board for programming PICs that can be reconfigured depending on the size package you are using. For 40-pin PICs, some of the jumpers line up with important pins (MCLR, crystal, UART, etc.) but none go to the PGC and PGD programming lines. I can't tell if power goes where it's supposed to or if you are required to jumper in power. Try and find a schematic otherwise you may be stuck figuring out where signals go pin by pin.

-Bill

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 am

So I found the board on AliExpress and from the pictures they have, it looks like a 1:1 connection between the socket and the headers next to it. You will need to use the included jumper wires to bring power and the programming signals to the correct pins for the PIC you are using. The crystal oscillator lines up with a 40-pin part and that may not work well with jumper wires. Hopefully your PIC has an internal oscillator if you intend to do some basic debugging with a PIC in the socket.

Unless you intend to program a bunch of parts, I wager it would be easier to just breadboard your PIC along with an ICSP header and call it a day.

-Bill

ArakelTheDragon

Post by ArakelTheDragon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:42 pm

This is the board:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/univers ... 4c4d82UmU3

It is an ICD2. I know I need to connect the jumpers, I just do not know how. The board is working and it brings power as PICKit2 told me "External power detected, disconnecting PICKit2 power" when I plug in the power adapter.

The programming connector for the PICs is for a maxium 40pin DIP package, but it works on anything lower also. I have a similar board, that works and I tested the PIC, it got programmed properly. This is my second board:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PICKIT2 ... 4c4d82UmU3

I have problems with "Microchip IPE" not detecting PICKit2, but "MPLAB X" and the "PICKit2" software v2.61 detect it.

EDIT:
This is how I learned to set the second board that is working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkmPyhopRk

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 am

The board that you just bought is not an ICD2. It is nothing more than an adapter board designed to make programming multiples of the same part a little faster. The board itself doesn't actually do anything. It is up to you to route the signals to the correct pins for the device you're programming.

The ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming) interface has 5 connections you need to make. They are:

MCLR (aka Vpp): This signals the PIC to enter programming mode.
Vdd: This is the positive supply for your PIC. (Some PICs may have multiple Vdd pins)
Vss: This is the return for your positive supply. (Some PICs may have multiple Vss pins)
ICSPDAT: This is the programming data stream.
ICSPCLK: This is the programming clock

These pins are labeled on page 6 of the datasheet for the PIC you are using. All you need to do is connect wires between the vertical ICSP header on your board and the correct pin numbers. If you use a PIC that has multiple Vdd and Vss pins, there is another vertical header right behind the power receptacle that has several of each. Keep in mind that when you insert your 20 pin part into a 40 pin socket, the numbering is not going to line up correctly. I would also remove all the jumpers on the board unless you determine that they are correctly bringing over a signal that you need.

You can design in an ICSP header to your project board (either breadboard or final board) which will allow you to quickly connect and disconnect your programmer without having to keep dragging your PIC in-between your project and programming board. Pages 210-211 have details on how to do this and there are countless examples on the internet. It will make your life easier in the long run and will get rid of the need for the adapter board you bought.

-Bill

ArakelTheDragon

Post by ArakelTheDragon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:01 pm

If I could afford the time to make this I would.

Everything you mentioned is already made correctly, but I need to set the jumpers, in order to bring the proper ICSP pins to the PIC, so I can program it. I also know exactly where to put the PIC.

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Does this mean you now know what to do?

-Bill

ArakelTheDragon

Post by ArakelTheDragon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 am

No. It means I know everything except where to put the jumpers. If anyone has an idea or method how to find out , please tell me.

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:59 am

I already told you how to do it. Open up the datasheet and map the pins like I said.

-Bill

ArakelTheDragon

Post by ArakelTheDragon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:33 pm

phalanx wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:59 am
I already told you how to do it. Open up the datasheet and map the pins like I said.

-Bill
Thank you very much! It worked. Now I can test the PIC without a problem. The "LVP" ping is unnecessary as the newere PICs use some combination of signals to use low voltage programming?

I guess that Microchip IPE does not detect the programmer, because it is PICKit2?

phalanx
Non-SFE Guru

Post by phalanx » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 am

LVP is something you don't need to worry about unless you have a specific use case for it.

About your PICkit-2 and IPE. This is another case of the answer being right in front of you if you read the literature. The PICkit-2 is not listed as a supported programmer in the IPE user manual.

-Bill