SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Sparkfun events such as Free Day, Antimov, AVC, etc.
By cdude1990
I would like clarification on this part of the rules (quoted from 2015):

>>No transmitters or communication beacons (other than GPS) of any kind are allowed. You may NOT tether to a laptop or other device. Everything necessary for the vehicle’s navigation/processing/sensing must be attached and part of the vehicle itself.

Does this mean the Edison, with its built in WiFi radio is forbidden? Would it be allowed if the radio was torn out or disabled? I am guessing this rule only applies during the heats, since tethering is necessary to make updates to programming.
By CaseyD-SFE
Hello!

Wanted to let you know that I am researching the answer to your question. I should have a response soon! :)
By SFE-Mike
Hi Cdude, thanks for your question!

The quick answer is that no, we don't require disabling or crippling integrated radios, but as stated in the rules you're not allowed to use them. It's a little unclear but I'll go ahead and say that yes you can use them during practice runs as long as your development system is powered down during the actual race. There's admittedly a certain amount of honor system going on here. We run AVC as a fun, not a cutthroat competition, and hope our competitors feel the same way. It's never come up, but it's also worth mentioning that we're pretty savvy about these things, and if we do discover someone is cheating, they'd likely be banned from this and future AVCs.

Thanks and as always, let us know what's on your mind!

(edit: grammar)
(edit2: clarification of radio use during practice)