SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Sparkfun events such as Free Day, Antimov, AVC, etc.
By Geek 2.0
Hopefully this isn't too offensive to those who didn't get money for Free Day, but...

I got $100 for Free Day and I don't know what to get!! What are you all getting? I recently made an order, so I don't have anything I really need right now. I have all the basics and such (Arduinos, plenty of FTDI, etc.) but feel free to suggest it anyway for other people!

Again, sorry to those of you who didn't get anything. Would it be too much to ask for no flamers?
By waltr
No problem here. I gave it a try and the money ran out after I got logged in. It was fun trying.

What projects are you working on with the Arduinos?
What else do you think you may want to do?

You do have 60days to spend it.
By Applekid
Geek 2.0 wrote:Hopefully this isn't too offensive to those who didn't get money for Free Day, but...

I got $100 for Free Day and I don't know what to get!! What are you all getting? I recently made an order, so I don't have anything I really need right now. I have all the basics and such (Arduinos, plenty of FTDI, etc.) but feel free to suggest it anyway for other people!

Again, sorry to those of you who didn't get anything. Would it be too much to ask for no flamers?
Speaking for myself, with that amount, I'd finally take the plunge in their wireless XBee offerings. The price is currently keeping me away because I don't know if I'll ever have be able to get them working since wireless depends on a lot of voodoo (antennae, power consumption, physical house layout, etc etc) and I don't want to toss money into something that I'll never really get to exploit well.
By trl
Applekid wrote: Speaking for myself, with that amount, I'd finally take the plunge in their wireless XBee offerings.
That what i was going to spend my loyalty credits on, but silly me FORGOT to login to claim them (after thinking about it for weeks:-). You think there is any chance at getting loyalty credits retroactively ?
By skimask
I say buy a bunch of small stuff, tiny connectors, cap's, resistors, crystals, nuts/bolts/washers/spacers, etc.
It's those types of things that'll hold you up on a project, not the big stuff, 'cause in general, if you're building a new project, you probably already know that you need a GPS or X-bee module or something like that, but you'll almost always forget that you need a pair of 22pf caps for the crystal or some such thing like that.
By Geek 2.0
Eh, I wouldn't get the small stuff. You can get 100 resistors for $1 at digikey whereas each are $.25 here. I would more or less try and get things specific to Sparkfun, or at least stuff that are easier to get here.
By skimask
Well, I guess I'm not talking about that sort of little stuff (even though I wrote it in there). True about the resistors/capacitors/etc.
I guess I meant more like the connectors, switches, LEDs, one-off kind of things, that would likely be a bit of a PITA to search for on Digikey, etc....whereas here, there's usually great pictures and/or great examples of how certain things are being used.
By Geek 2.0
Such as RGB LEDs? :D Those are soooooooo awesome. I kinda wish they were common anode though...