SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Sparkfun events such as Free Day, Antimov, AVC, etc.
By RazorConcepts
Firstly, I have to say thank you to SF, they have made a significant improvement over last year! I'm glad the $10-per-year thing is up, reducing the amounts of non-geeks who just come for the free stuff. But why make free day open, again, to anybody? I mean, if you want to give back, at least give it back to people who have shown some kind of interest... maybe had an account for at least 2 months, or made 1 order, etc etc. Like last year, I can see "deal" sites like slickdeals and fatwallet taking advantage over this. I definitely foresee a giant slickdeals thread, with the 10 questions and answers listed in the wiki, and people just copying the answers and getting a free $100, only to resell on ebay a few weeks later...

Well, rant over, no matter what SF does it is still doing good so thanks :D
By Kalagaraz
RazorConcepts wrote:Firstly, I have to say thank you to SF, they have made a significant improvement over last year! I'm glad the $10-per-year thing is up, reducing the amounts of non-geeks who just come for the free stuff. But why make free day open, again, to anybody? I mean, if you want to give back, at least give it back to people who have shown some kind of interest... maybe had an account for at least 2 months, or made 1 order, etc etc. Like last year, I can see "deal" sites like slickdeals and fatwallet taking advantage over this. I definitely foresee a giant slickdeals thread, with the 10 questions and answers listed in the wiki, and people just copying the answers and getting a free $100, only to resell on ebay a few weeks later...

Well, rant over, no matter what SF does it is still doing good so thanks :D
It's to get new people interested in electronics and reward sparkfun customers.

New people get into electronics because they get some free electronic gear and have to learn a little about electronics to get the free gear

Sparkfun customers get a instant reward of $10 per year if they so choose.
By follower
RazorConcepts wrote:with the 10 questions and answers listed in the wiki, and people just copying the answers and getting a free $100
There was a comment by a SparkFun employee on the news post that said that it was unlikely any two people would get the same questions.

--Philip;