SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By martinbaker2727
Hello

When using my MKRFOX1200 supplied through 3.3V / Vin , I Can't get a lower consumption than 1.2 mA during LowPower.deepsleep(120000); instruction time (using <ArduinoLowPower.h>).

My test bench uses the simpliest hardware and software (nothing enabled, no LED ... ).

I've double checked this measure using my multimeter (very low quality) in serie (current measure) and in parallel (voltage measure) accross a 100 Ohm resistor in serie with the power supply : 120 mV drop ...

Unfortunately it is not enough efficient to be powered during monthes through a pair of AA alcaline batteries, even if my module sleeps always ... I was expecting less than 100 uA reading the Atmel SAMD data sheet ...

I could see two possible issues :

- The mkrfox1200 hardware design doesn't allow to get better results (ex. due to the clock input ... I don't know ...)
- The Arduino LowPower library doesn't do enough and could be optimized ...

As I've not got enough time to check by myself those two issues, I just hope that someone or a support can tell me what objective can be set and how to proceed in order to get it. I wouldn't like to spend efforts targetting a non feasible objective, and some other messages on the forum are not enough conclusive on this topic ...

Sleep mode conumption parameter should be written in the MKRFOX1200 documentation, when it's said that the board can be supplied through AA batteries ...

Sorry for the English and the message form, I'm constrained by a Parkinson disease ... however compatible Arduino practice