SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By rgsparber
I have used my AVR MK II with Arduino 1.8.5 for a long time without any problems. My targets have been the Pro Micro and the ATTiny85.

Recently I moved to Win10 and used Arduino 1.8.5 to directly program a Pro Micro. Worked fine. But when I used the AVR to program an ATTiny85, I got the upload error shown below.

The AVR shows up in Device Manager as "Atmel/AVRISP mkii" but nothing under Ports (COM & LPT). Under Atmel/AVRISP mkii I see that the driver is OK although under Events I see "Device USB\VID_03EB&PID_2104\000200156091 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match."

In Arduino 1.8.5 I see COM1 as the only option. Moving the AVR to different USB ports makes no difference. During uploads I get the error:

------------------------
avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.14.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done. Thank you.
-------------------------
and at the top it says "An error occurred while uploading the sketch"

Upgrading to 1.8.6 made no difference. I then moved to my Win7 laptop and got the same error.

When it used to work, I would select the correct COM and get no errors. Now I only get that COM1 option and the above error messages.

So how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
By jremington
Sounds like a driver problem to me. I use Win7 with the AVRISP MKII programmer, and no COM port appears when it is plugged in. I use AVR Studio for programming with it, not Arduino.

In Device Manager the programmer appears under the "Jungo" heading as two devices: AVRISP mkII and WinDriver.

Try downloading the driver from the manufacturer web site and deleting/reinstalling (I haven't visited it since the change of ownership).