SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By samuel02px2020
My school has been teaching me how to use the Sparkfun Redboard and it has been working fine. However, when I bought my own, it doesn't seem to work. My version is the Sparkfun Redboard 4.0. I got the correct serial port (/dev/cu.usbserial-DN04AB8O) and the correct board (Arduino/Genuino Uno) but when I click board info it still says BN: Unknown Board. I am getting the "programmer not responding" error message. My computer version is Mac OSX High Sierra.

After doing a little bit of digging on the internet, I saw something about the LED next to pin 13 blinking when you connect it. That doesn't seem to be the case for my Arduino. However, I don't really know what that means. Also, I emailed the Sparkfun technicians and they said that it might be because every board has different serial ports and I am using the same one as the one I used in school. Is that the issue and if so, how do i fix it? I have already manually installed the driver multiple times.

Please help me fix this issue as I really want to get started on my project.
By samuel02px2020
Yep. I unplugged it and the port disappeared and it reappeared when I plugged it back in. So the serial port is probably not the problem. I chose the Arduino/Genuino Uno as my board since I have a Redboard. Are there any more solutions?
By paulvha
The real difference is that you must install the FTDI Driver for the Redboard. (the Uno is using a ATmega16U4 for USB/serial conversion.) Otherwise it should work
By samuel02px2020
My LED 13 doesn't flash when I plug the Redboard in. Could that be the problem?

Btw I have tried to use it on both a PC and a Mac. They both had the same error message.
By paulvha
That is a Led connected to the serial Clock (SCK). One would expect that to be low /floating when not in use. Is your power led on ?