SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By jimmy409
Hello everyone,

My name is Jimmy. I'm new here. Nice to meet you all.

Here is a question for you:

I need to produce a Square wave 12 MHz - 15 MHz, with adjustable duty cycle.

Can the AD9850 be forced to produce a square wave in this range?
By Valen
The AD9850 chip generates a DDS-sinewave. Which is a approximated analog sinewave but contains high frequency noise due to the digital creation proces. Most of those cheap AD9850 boards (No suggestion to buy. Just an example) contain a filter to clean that up and result in a reasonable pure sinewave. Those can also output a square wave but that is actually generated by a comparator with the sinewave as input. And it doesn't support the full bandwith range as the analog output bandwith. The specs I've seen suggest it is limited to 1 MHz.

So no, not a square wave 12-15 Mhz. And certainly not adjustable duty-cycle, which is the same as PWM.

If you need 12 to 15 MHz square-waves (fixed duty-cycle) then there are crystal oscillator or resonator cans made for that. See an older thread for similarity and suggestions:

https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27767
By jimmy409
Thank you Valen for your informative reply.

Do you know of, or can you suggest a ready made device that can be controlled with an Arduino (or a small stand alone device that is not Arduino controlled), that will produce 12 MHz - 15 MHz square wave? -- regardless of duty cycle capabilities.

Jimmy