SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By skellyjoe97
Hi there,
I'm relatively new to arduino coding and have just finished my first major project.
What I want to achieve is to take an audio signal from my pc and make it light up 4 RGB strips depending on what frequencies are in the sounds playing.
As my sound is carried through HDMI I could do with a program (if anyone knows of one) that could output data to the arduino mega that I have connected behind my tv screen to the 4 RGB strips.
I want to avoid using microphones as inputs as I can't afford to buy anything else for this project. The 4 strips would flash at the same time which would hopefully make it easier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't seem to find anyone who has done this before me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Valen
Arduino's simply can't do HDMI decoding, to get at the (digital) audio. The data is too fast.

Even sampling a microphone and doing fast fourier transforms on it can be a Olympic game for the Atmega microcontrollers.
Save up money to buy something like this to sample only the filtered frequency bands of an analog signal:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13116