SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By HF_ATL
Hello all,

I've been using two arduino's uno connected via I2C (A4,A5) and ground of both connected. They are powered separately each one from two AA batteries via a step-up to 5v. It is working 100% and the master arduino is sending the data correctly to the slave.

However I'd like to have only one pack of 2xAA powering both of them. In this case I assume I must remove the ground wire connecting them to avoid a ground loop. Is that correct?

Thank you
By Valen
Why would you get a ground loop with a single connection? Make a drawing how you think it should be wired. Then maybe we can fix your misunderstanding of a ground-loop.

In the mean time I made a crude drawing of what a ground loop would be. Also, if you would use shielded cable to run the SDA and SCL wire through, and the shield connected to ground then you would also get a ground loop. But long wires and I2C don't go together well anyway since signal quality drops. It's meant to be used for short distances.

[EDIT] The step-ups can probably be reduced to a single one also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By HF_ATL
First of all many thanks for the reply Valen.
I edited your pic now showing the both configurations I tried to explain.
Distance between the two I2C devices is small, like 20cm. I don't plan to use shielded cable, only standard wire.
Reducing to a single step-up is good but unfortunately the load that it will have to sustain will overpass the maximum current admissible...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.