SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By jmr
Hello,

Anyone ever had upload speed issues with the (full size) SAMD21 breakout board? Uploading the "blink" sketch takes over a minute. More accurately, less than 10s to compile, about 50s of black screen saying "uploading" before the red text appears, and then about 30s for the flash cycle (with the red text progress indicator. The verify cycle is instantaneous, regardless if the option to verify is active or not.

Some background: the board was completely reprogrammed and the bootloader erased with an atmel ICE at some point. I just reinstalled the bootloader (using https://github.com/sparkfun/SAMD21_Dev_ ... arkfun.bin), then uploaded blink through the Arduino IDE. It works fine, blink speed is correct, it's just much slower to flash that I'd expect.

Changed the USB cable and the USB port on the PC. No difference. No hub between the board and the PC.

Wrong fuse setting?
Wrong bootloader image?
Is there a speed setting for the pseudo-serial-port that I'm missing?

The arduino IDE reports version 1.6.10. Arduino SAMD Core 1.6.12 installed. Sparkfun SAMD boards package 1.3.2. Board package for Adafruit SAMD21 boards also installed. Windows 7.

Thanks.
By ljbeng
I am using these exclusively now and I feel your pain. I find it takes a long time to download no matter what the size of the sketch. Blink and my 23% sized program take the same amount of time to download. Most times (but not every time) I have to double tap the reset button to get downloads to go so it's just a habit to do it every time now. I may make a Windows macro so pressing F9 compiles AND triggers another arduino to double tap the reset button and I will wire a transistor to the reset button of the SAMD21 then I can get downloads to go first time.
By BillBigge
I have the same problem but only so far with a Sparkfun M0 mini board. I also bought an Adafruit Feather M0 and it works fine, even if I tell the Arduino IDE that I am using the sparkfun board it will download fine for the Feather M0.

The sparkfun board only uploads fast when I put some load on my laptops CPU, like playing a youtube video.

As far as I can tell, this is an issue with the Sparkfun version of the SAM_BA bootloader and nothing to do with Windows but I am about to get a second Sparkfun M0 board to check this out some more.