SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By Jimbo72
I have a Dell 8700 which has been upgraded from 64bit Windows 7 to 10.
When I plug in a Pro Micro 5v/16MHz, I get the connect melody, but no popup. I have tried two Pro Micros with identical results.
Plugging a Pro Micro into an old XP laptop I get the expected driver balloon popup .
Looking at the device manager, there is no "Other devices /USB IO Board" on the Device Manager list. There is a "USB Composite Device" which appears when I plug in the Pro Micro. (and disappears when I remove it)
I tried installing the Sparkfun.inf driver but get a message "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."
Device manager says the composite device is "working properly".
Attempting to install sparkfun.inf returns a "The best driver software for your device is already installed"
Any suggestions?
Thank you. -Jim

Note: I tried this a Dell XPS 8500 Win10 x64, same result.
By Jimbo72
Anyone else have this or a similar problem? As I added above, I have a second Dell XPS system Win7-Win10 which also does not open the driver bubble. I haven't found anything by googling. Am I missing the obvious? I haven't seen any other forum posts here that seem to solve the problem. Much appreciated! -Jim

On the "USB Composite Device Properties"
  • Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
    This device is working properly.
Events:
  • Device USB\VID_1B4F&PID_9206\5&6f8c554&0&2 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_045E&PID_00DB\5&2EBEB8A5&0&3
    Class Guid: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFF8000F120
    Present: false
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Jimbo72
Thanks for your reply. I don't get the “Installing device driver software” bubble notification pop up" nor on the Device Manager the "Other devices /USB IO Board" is not present. When I plug it into an old XP laptop, the bubble notification does appear. So, it would seem the Pro Micro is working.
I have the same problem on another, similar Win10 system. Have you tried a Pro Micro on a Win10 system? Thanks again, Jim
By Jimbo72
Ted Metzroth from Sparkfun support supplied the solution! Thanks Ted!
With my system, under Device Manager, the Pro Micro shows up under the "Ports (COM & LPT)". I opened the Pro Micro properties and from the Driver tab, I clicked on "Update Driver" and selected the Sparkfun.inf driver. I uploaded the Blink sketch (changing Port 13 to Port 17 for the Tx LED) and now I have a very annoying Pro Micro!

Thanks again Ted Metzroth! -Jim
ProMicroInstall.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.