SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By MNHS
Hello

The Arduino Pro Micro Hookup Guide is badly out of date. It says "It should be a folder named ‘SFE32U4_Drivers’." but the repo has changed since and there is no folder with that name. I found an inf online called "sparkfun.inf" but when I use that he says "the folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. if the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems".

Has anyone a working x64 Pro Micro Driver Inf?

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pr ... ng-windows

Thank you.

MNHS
By badermeinhof
I tried the tutorial on how to hook up the Pro Micro but the drivers that is downloaded from GittHub that is supposed to be signed fails installing. There is a error about a hash missing or file corrupt.
I run windows 8.1 x64.
Could you please verify that the drivers are working.
By afreeman
MNHS wrote:Hello

The Arduino Pro Micro Hookup Guide is badly out of date. It says "It should be a folder named ‘SFE32U4_Drivers’." but the repo has changed since and there is no folder with that name. I found an inf online called "sparkfun.inf" but when I use that he says "the folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. if the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems".

Has anyone a working x64 Pro Micro Driver Inf?

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pr ... ng-windows

Thank you.

MNHS
I also have this problem; can't install the Pro Micro 5V/16 MHz on Windows XP 64bits, and get the same message. It seems that all the driver packs I tried have versions for XP 32bits and Vista 64bits; but not for XP 64bits.

Can anyone please help. Thanks.
By Rom3oDelta7
Is anyone from Sparkfun listening?

I have tried the latest driver from https://github.com/sparkfun/Arduino_Boa ... master.zip on the following systems:

Windows 7/x64 success
Windows 8.1/x64 FAIL
Windows 10/x64 FAIL

typical error:
The hash for this file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering.

Tried numerous compatibility modes, etc with no luck.

I can't use the one remaining Win7 system I have for code development, so I really need a driver for Win 8.1 and 10. Looks like it could just be a packaging issue but at this point all of my Pro Micros are useless.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

RD7
By alano
Just bought a Pro micro 3.3V and can't use it! Dito on the previous posts - the installation instructions are out-of-date. How about some help here!
By uChip
SparkFun employees generally do not participate as much in the forum. It is a community forum and any help you receive here is mostly from other customers like yourselves.

I have always found SparkFun to be fairly responsive, but the thing to do is to email them at techsupport@sparkfun.com

- Chip
I do not work for SparkFun.
By Rom3oDelta7
Good suggestion. I tried that a few days ago - nothing so far. We'll see what happens.

RD7
By markeon
Solution:
I've just been going through the same problems with my Pro Micro 5v (which is not a SparkFun product)
I disabled Win 8 enforcement for signed drivers following this procedure:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/di ... -windows-8

-and was able to select and install the appropriate driver. - success!

When selecting the driver during the "update driver" process, I browsed to the //.../sparkfun/avr folder and pressed OK/open -

good luck
By Rom3oDelta7
@markeon,

THANK YOU!! It had not occurred to me to turn off signed driver enforcement (there is a lesson to be learned there...) and it's really ironic that Sparkfun had the solution (workaround, really) all along. I just tried this on Win10/x64 and it works. Woot! The Windows UI for this is abysmal, but I made it through even though it looked at times like it was going to fail with all the required reboots).

Ironically, I had just come up with a workaround for this today (posed on github) where I forced Windows to think the ProMicro was an Arduino Micro, but I was advised that this hack would be inadvisable on a 3.3V ProMicro. So now, I have a solution that works for both. Thanks for taking the time to post this solution. Props...

RD7
By markeon
your welcome
glad it worked out for you.

And another little tid-bit of fun:
I have the 5V/16MHz ProMicro. When I uploaded my 1st sketch to it from the Arduino IDE, I neglected to choose the "ATmega32U4 (5V, 16MHz) from the Tools > Processor: > [menu]. The 3V/8 MHz is the default.
This oversight caused me to "brick" my Pro-Micro!!

I had to go through a lengthy 'voodoo ritual' to bring it back from the dead. That was my 'lesson learned'

- Mark
By Rom3oDelta7
Now that I am working with both 5V and 3.3V systems all the time, I am 100% positive that I will end up doing this myself in the near future. Can you share the voodoo formula?? I know how to do this for my ESP modules, but have not yet had to do it for an AVR chip. Thanks.

RD7
By Rom3oDelta7
I heard back from Sparkfun Tech Spt today, and they sent me a different driver installer that works. Hopefully, they will not mind my sharing the solution with the forum. It's on GoogleDrive, so download it while it's still there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jwgL ... s=5718ec51

Now we can all get back to work/fun. ;-)

EDIT: Here's simpler approach. Just download the attached .inf file driver, unzip, right click on it, and select "Install".

Cheers,
RD7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By .Brent.
I can't reproduce the issue on any of my machines, but I've written a new driver that I'd love for some of you with issues to test. Anyone willing to test this new driver from SparkFun?
sparkfun_AVR_driver.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Rom3oDelta7
Happy to help.

Test1: Win 8.1/x64 ProMicro 5V: installs and uploads from IDE 1.6.8 correctly - PASS
Test2: Win 10/x64 ProMicro 5V: installs and uploads from IDE 1.6.8 correctly - PASS
Test3: Win 7/x64 ProMicro 5V: installs correctly - no IDE environment to test with on this machine

I thought I had a ProMicro 3.3V board to test as well, but it was a ProMini.

Hope this helps.

RD7
By .Brent.
Thanks a lot! I've tested on a Win 7/x64 machine, so it's sounding like this driver is at least as good as our current one. You were having issues on those systems before, would you say the issue is resolved?