SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By radialhat
Hello sparkfun community,
I got a question that I also just posted up on Reddit
Imagine this scenario, a restaurant, 5 tables, each table with some sort of 555 timer based device coupled with an RF transmitter and 2 physical buttons, one that calls the waiter and the other that asks for the bill, and an arduino with a receiver module that will receive communication and know which table had pressed which button and transform this into a beep on a computer alongside a label on the screen with the table number... Is this acomplishable? What do I need to have in mind?
By stevech
first: power source.
what's the 555 purpose?

I'd do this with XBee S1 in a proper package. No microprocessor needed.
XBee's MAC address reveals table # (MAC implies table # as we know where we put the XBees)
Two DIO bits on XBee for push buttons (with some debounce)

Receiving end is another XBee S1 with USB/Serial link to RPi or PC or whatever displays the button pushes.

Quite simple.
Send me a zillion dollars and I'll do it!
By Ross Robotics
Yep, a lot of restaurants have these now.. Well, all the high end restaurants. You can make something more simple and cost effective for "family owned" restaurants..

I agree with Steve. Make as simple as possible, which would make it inexpensive..
By lyndon
It's certainly possible, but I would just use cheap Android tablets at each table (chained to the table!) and a PC running a webserver at the host station. PC could even be a Raspberry Pi!

I'm positive that the lifetime cost of my solution would be lower. I could deliver that solution in a weekend. Wanna pull the trigger on it? :-)

[edit] And I posted that before I read 'Mac's link.
Last edited by lyndon on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ross Robotics
Cheap tablets? I haven't seen any under $100.. That's not cheap. This concept is what places like Applebee's use. But they're in large, bulky enclosures.

As for the long term, how many tablets will break in a week? A month? People are destructive animals.. Especially a 2 yr old!
By lyndon
Lots of tablets under $60. All it needs is wifi and a browser. Can likely get even better pricing if you buy in quantity direct from China via Alibaba.
codlink wrote:Cheap tablets? I haven't seen any under $100.. That's not cheap. This concept is what places like Applebee's use. But they're in large, bulky enclosures.

As for the long term, how many tablets will break in a week? A month? People are destructive animals.. Especially a 2 yr old!
By Ross Robotics
I stand corrected. $60 @ 10 tables is $600.. And I hope a restaurant has more than 10 tables..
By lyndon
Can the receiver access the transmitter's MAC address?
I should know this: I have a couple of those things still in the package...
stevech wrote:first: power source.
what's the 555 purpose?

XBee's MAC address reveals table # (MAC implies table # as we know where we put the XBees)

Receiving end is another XBee S1 with USB/Serial link to RPi or PC or whatever displays the button pushes.

Quite simple.
By Mee_n_Mac
lyndon wrote:Can the receiver access the transmitter's MAC address?
I should know this: I have a couple of those things still in the package...
stevech wrote:first: power source.
what's the 555 purpose?

Quite simple.
And if not aren't there 6 more DIO pins that could be wired to ID up to 64 tables ?

Even better might be to use the PT2262/2272 encoder/decoder set and a cheapo AM Tx/Rx like Adafruit does in their key fobs.
By lyndon
Reason for the question was I wondered if the transmitter could be done without a microcontroller. I do like that keyfob idea.

Anyway, after taking a quick look on Alibaba and finding WiFi Android tablets for $35 each (qty 10), I'd still consider the tablet approach first. With stuff like this, scope creep tends to happen really quickly.
By radialhat
Hello everyone,
Thank you for the answers, while the tablet approach seems nice its costly and a bit out of what I have in mind.
Loved Mac's and stevech's suggestions... had few time to come back here due to being working on the restaurant
(building stage) but I'll have to take a moment to study stevech's idea and mac's which seem to be more complex
Regards
Radialhat
By stevech
lyndon wrote:Reason for the question was I wondered if the transmitter could be done without a microcontroller.
see 2nd post

On using Tablets at restaurant table...
Bring on the toddlers!
By lyndon
I know that the xbees can transmit to each other without needing a microcontroller. What I don't know is if the PC at the receiving end can get access to the MAC address of the transmitter.
stevech wrote:
lyndon wrote:Reason for the question was I wondered if the transmitter could be done without a microcontroller.
see 2nd post

On using Tablets at restaurant table...
Bring on the toddlers!