SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By iprogramplus
Using the Redboard and SIK Guide i performed successfully the 2x16 Display experiment. Then I transferred the exact experiment to a Arduino Uno, and a different breadboard, it does not work, i checked the wiring over and over and over, I also checked the displays, my conclusion is that the Uno is damaged.
Any feedback its a bran new Uno
thanks,
By Ross Robotics
Can you upload the blinky sketch and add that LED to test it? Did you upload the correct code from the Redboard? How do you know that the UNO got the correct code?
By iprogramplus
thanks,
I neglected to mention that i put into the Display code the blinky on pin 13 and it works fine on the Uno.
By Mee_n_Mac
iprogramplus wrote:thanks,
I neglected to mention that i put into the Display code the blinky on pin 13 and it works fine on the Uno.
So it seems that it's hard to conclude that the Uno is somehow dead. Unproven but testable, is whether the specific pins used to send data to the 2x16 display are dead. A simple program to light up an LED from those pins should prove it, one way or the other. What pins were these ?

What, specifically, about the Uno and LCD "didn't work" ?
By iprogramplus
great Idea I will try that. The pins that are being used are: 12,11,5,4,3,2. The LCD is not display "HELLO WORLD", it is getting power when I vary the POT you can see the screen go from dark to light, but no characters.
thanks, again, i'll let you know.
By iprogramplus
I attached LEDs to the IO pins going to the display and they did not light. First, I found a bug in the bread board, the rails power/gnd were not connected across the board so I jumped the rail segments together, the LEDs are working now, However the display is not, its lighting up better, and when turning the POT you can see the segments, but that's it, no text.. I noticed that the LED on PIN11 was not lighting at all, I changed it to PIN10 (SW too), but nothing.
thanks again