SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By SquaredPaper
Hi!

I'm thinking about getting an Arduino Pro Mini [16 MHz, 5V] as my first Arduino board ever. I do have some experience in the EE/programming fields but I just want your input about how suitable SMB-variants of the Arduinos are for beginners?
It's the kind of IC that worries me since it would be somewhat harder for me to replace it if needed than on the boards with the old-fashioned DIP:s. So what I really wonder is if I ever may need to replace the IC (because of mistakes and such) or if it is capable of taking some abuse before giving up?
By coyote20000
I think it's a good choice. I have both types and haven't fried either. The shields for the standard make trying certain projects easier but other than that it's the same.
The pro-mini fits in a breadboard nicely too!
By coyote20000
That depends on what you will be connecting to it.
If most of the items are 5v then go with the 5v version.
If they are 3.3 then it's easier to use the 3.3v version.
You can always level shift, but if high speed communication is required, level shifting the data could cause a problem and slow you down.

Dave
By Philba
Maybe I'm out of step with reality but I really don't like the standard size arduino. To do any kind of quick prototyping, you pair it with a solderless BB so why not just use an arduino that plugs into the SBB??? Plus, an arduino paired next to an SBB is pretty messy. Sure there are cases where there is a perfect shield with everything you need. And yes, there are shields with little SBBs (more like tiny little SBBs) built in. But I really like the speed and flexibility of plugging a "lilduino" into an SBB and mounting my components. It's fast, solid and flexible.

I'd suggest you look at the Pro Micro or Teensy2 which have USB built in. Personally, I prefer the teensy for, um, fiscal reasons.

On the issue of 3.3V. I prefer 3.3V devices in general since almost all peripherals can take it and many go no higher. Level shifting isn't hard but it's a PITA when you are prototyping a device. I have a number of teensys with a 3.3V regulator soldered on. Also, you can power a 3.3V 'duino with a single LiIon cell and the built in linear regulator (without horrible efficiency, too). The only issue that I've run into with 3.3V is that some LEDs have a Vf > 3.3V.

My ideal device is a 3.3V teensy2 with a max1555 (or similar) and LiIon connector built in - power and charge via USB. you listening, paul?

edit: I missed your question about swapping chips. Never needed to do it but when a teensy is $16,it's just not an issue to me.
By SquaredPaper
Great answers!

Ok, so I think I'll go ahead with the 3.3V one, but how about the frequencies (16 MHz vs 8 MHz)? Do they differ alot in performance in common applications, like reading values from sensors and moving some servos?
By motopic
Another sublety,
the teensy uses a custom library. So code you write using teensy lib is not portable to another arduino based chip.

I'd recommend a ModernDevice.com RBBB + usb adapter.