SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By z3v0
OK folks, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but... I have tried every permutation of search on google to find out if its possible to send dialing instructions over the 30-pin connector to an iphone. I'm trying to put it into phone mode, and then send the number to dial over the wire. I know this is possible with bluetooth, but was wondering if there is some way to do it wired.

Thanks
By coryduce
The 30-pin connector has a UART on it that can be interfaced with an external micro, but I don't remember ever seeing a command that allowed to you to dial a number. Most of the UART iAP commands are for controlling the ipod functionality of the iPhone. On a project I was working on, we wrote an iPhone App that could send and receive data over the UART, so if there was a way for an iPhone App to dial a number, you could write an app to receive the phone number from your micro and then dial it. The app would need to be running for it to work though.
One other thing to think about is authentication with the iPhone. Before you can use the UART for communications, you need to authenticate with the iPhone. The authentication process is a bit complicated, and requires you to have the apple authentication co-processor chip on your PCB, and you will also need the documentation for how to authenticate. To get those, you need to be a Apple licensee, and pay Apple a royalty.