SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By maokh
I don't really see how the platform is relevant, unless the board files have some sort of very specific windows dependency.
By maokh
I dropped by one of the hacker spaces (Metrix in Seattle) to see if anyone else could make sense out of this issue.

I found someone with windows. While the board definitions are tricky to install, once we were able to silence the compile errors, we were able to build "blink" for the arduino mega pro 3.3. The compile errors are due to the fact that the core files are specific to arduino 18. All you need to do is install the newest core and overlay any of the files in the core provided in the archive that it complains about (usually its arduino pinouts, etc).

As expected, two OSX machines and a linux machine had the typical avrdude timeouts.

My theory is that when the bootloader was adapted to 8MHz 3.3V, it developed some serial timing issues, and due to the screwy way Windows serial ports operate, it is tuned specifically to that operating system.
By A1ronzo
The product page should be updated shortly with a new boards definitions file that will fix the compile errors in arduino 1.0. Windows is fine, but as for the linux and mac issues, we are seeing the same thing in both the Arduino IDE and Wiring IDE. We are working on a solution. Thanks for the patience.
By macman20
Humm... :\ I seem to still be having problems with downloading code to my Mega Pro on my completely windows computer running Vista. I get the same timeout errors but they happen further in the download. I get the same errors both in Arduino v 18 and v 23. Only one time I have received the error complaining about the missing files. Am I doing something wrong? I simply insert the "Mega_Pro_3.3V" folder right into the "hardware" folder in the Arduino IDE folder. Is that right?
By A1ronzo
We have not seen issues on Windows machines using Arduino 0022. The 'Board Definition File' on the product page is configured for Arduino 0022. I am not sure if 0018 or 0023 will work.

Overall, Wiring 1.0 (http://wiring.org.co/) and Windows is probably the best option right now. You can follow the instructions here to get the Mega Pro 3.3V working with Wiring:
http://wiki.wiring.co/wiki/SparkfunHardware

FYI, Wiring is basically the same thing as arduino. you can write the same sketchs and include libraries in the same way. The Arduino IDE is actually based on the Wiring IDE.

I hope the linux/mac issue will be worked out shortly, it's probably something obvious I am missing. Keep an eye on the product page for any updates.
By macman20
Well, I just installed Wiring and the SFE libraries on my Vista desktop and I still received the same timeout error. Does anyone know what the baud rate the board downloads at? I am using a pair of modified XBee series 1 Pro units to download through (which download fine to my standard Arduino Pro 16 MHz) and they need to be tuned to the download baud rate, right now I have them set at 57600 baud, is that the correct download rate?
Thanks!
By macman20
I'd love to try, I'm wondering the same thing but I do not yet have an FTDI cable because this had worked fine in the past. I may have to purchase one sometime soon for debugging, but I don't see why this shouldn't be able to work, it's really confusing me why even on Windows it refuses to upload code and times out.
By A1ronzo
Sorry everyone for the delay. I have found a fix for *nix platforms, but you will need to burn a new bootloader. Here are the files if you have a programmer:
http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/dow ... o-3.3V.zip

If you don't have a programmer, contact techsupport at sparkfun dot com and we will either get you a new board or have you return your current board to be reflashed.