SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By Aggrav8d
I've been trying to drive a firgelli linear actuator from an arduino all week and it's driving me (and the firgelli tech support) crazy.

I have:
- an arduino duemilanova connected via USB to my PC
- an L16P (http://www.firgelli.com/Uploads/L16_datasheet.pdf)
- an LAC control board (http://www.firgelli.com/Uploads/LAC_datasheet_.pdf)
- 12v3a- connected to pin 1 of the LAC
- 12v3a+ connected to pin 2 of the LAC
- arduino pin 3 (PWM) connected to pint 3 of the LAC

I've checked all the adjustment pots on the LAC, and made sure the actuator is connected the right way around (pin1 to pin1)
Code: Select all
#include <Servo.h> 

Servo s;

void setup() {
  s.attach(3);
}

void loop() {
  s.writeMicroseconds(2000);
  delay(4000);
  s.writeMicroseconds(1000);
  delay(4000);
}
Which should make it sweep in and out, just like a normal servo.

Unfortunately I get no movement, and the firgelli people don't seem to have ever heard of arduino before.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
By esklar81
Aggrav8d,

The first thing that comes to mind is that you didn't say you have the grounds of the control board and Arduino tied together. I suggest you take a voltmeter and see just how far apart they are. Then put a wire from the Arduino ground to the control board ground (X6-1). That should change the voltage between the two "grounds" to zero and may well solve your problem. (Yes, I know you have the "negative" side of your 12 V PS connected there, but getting all three things (Arduino, PS, control board) to agree on what "ground" is is key to getting such systems to work.)

Let us know if that works. I have a few other ideas, but I'd rather not take the time describing them if you don't need them.

Good Luck,
Eric
By esklar81
If you can run either one of your actuators, but not both of them, that sounds like a power problem, or some controller limitation.

Were you trying to run two actuators from a single controller or two controllers from the same Arduino? It's not at all obvious to me, from the datasheet to which you provided a link, that the controller can control more than one actuator at a time.

If you are trying to run two controllers from an Arduino, are you using the same digital output pin for both, or separate output pins?

Eric