SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By benedict
Hi,

I've been doing AVR development for some time, but this is my first exposure to the Arduino hardware and software, and also my first time using a Bluetooth modem. Needless to say I ran into problems from the get-go.

I'm using an Arduino Pro Mini 5.0V/16MHz with an ATmega328 on it. I'm also using a Bluetooth Mate Silver, which is plugged directly into the board:

Not my favorite way to stack boards (all LEDs and buttons toward the middle of the stack), but space is of the essence in this project, and this arrangement made all the pins line up the right way.

I tried to talk to the board from the Arduino environment, and got through the process of pairing the modem to my computer. It sees the modem, and from what I've seen the modem is able to reset the Arduino Pro Mini board (at least when I try to download code, the LED on the Arduino Pro Mini goes through the startup flash sequence again.

But avrdude always comes back with a STK500 error. I did some reading, and from what I've seen this always indicates a communication error between the computer and the Arduino board. I thought I did everything ok. Any ideas?

My plan when I get to play with this again tonight is to get an RS232-TTL level shifter I've used for talking to other AVR devices, and hook it up through a serial cable to my computer. But long-term I'd rather be able to use the Bluetooth modem to load code.

I'm going to keep poking around at this, but I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,

Tom