SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
rrc1962 wrote:Good news about the pro.

I read this on the Uno blog.

"Now you just need to briefly connect to ground the reset pin of the 8u2 for it to enter DFU bootloader mode. The using Atmel’s FLIP on Windows and Linux or dfu-programmer on Mac (and Linux) you can reprogram the firmware."
I read that also but unfortunately it did not make that much sense to me, not having worked with something like the Arduino before. There is more than one boot loader I guess. I was not sure how the other boot loader would be involved here.
rrc1962 wrote: I wonder if the problem we're having (entering bootloader mode on power up) might be a flaw in the board where the reset pin is grounding intermittently. My issues don't seem to be as severe as Scanners. Mine is working intermittently.

They also make it sound like it is very easy to flash the bootloader. Sounds like we need a crash course in that.
I am wondering how a reset pin would ground intermittently. I should have the hardware to do basic loading of a boot loader soon, but if it is actually a hardware flaw that is not going to be much help unfortunately.

Although if I could just write the sketches to the Uno and not even bother with a boot loader that would probably be a workable solution for me. Regardless I am going to totally steer clear of the SMD Uno's until there is some concrete resolution.
Oh, hey just got this email from SparkFun tech support:
Yep, bad boards. It looks like we got a bunch of bad boards in from
Arduino. Basically there is a problem with the bootloader and in needs
to be reinstalled. You can either send it back and we can reinstall it
for you or you can reinstall it yourself.
I have asked for instructions on how to re-install the bootloader. Probably faster than sending them through the mail just to be plugged in and sent back. Will post more info here when I have it.
Scanner wrote:Oh, hey just got this email from SparkFun tech support:
Yep, bad boards. It looks like we got a bunch of bad boards in from
Arduino. Basically there is a problem with the bootloader and in needs
to be reinstalled. You can either send it back and we can reinstall it
for you or you can reinstall it yourself.
I have asked for instructions on how to re-install the bootloader. Probably faster than sending them through the mail just to be plugged in and sent back. Will post more info here when I have it.
I got a response as well and also asked for instructions. They should create a quick web page on the process or maybe put it in their blog. There must be quite a few of these out there.
I've written a short sketch that will help you load a fixed bootloader unto you Uno systems, assuming that you have a second arduino of some kind to do the fixing.

This is based on the arduinoISP programming sketch, except it includes an internal copy of a (fixed) optiboot bootloader, so there are no communications issues. You just connect up an Arduino containing the sketch to an Uno with the iffy bootloader (as per instructions here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP ), hit reset, and it will drop in a new bootloader. (Status is displayed to the Serial port at 19200bps, but you don't really need to watch it.)

This is actually a subset of a more ambitious effort to load optiboot into all sorts of old Arduinos, but that's waiting on more complete documentation. meanwhile, doing Uno only is pretty simple and is getting increasingly urgent as more optiboot bugs show up.

the fixed optiboot included in the sketch has:
1) PWM timer initialization fixed (this was also fixed in the core.)
2) 30k upload limit fixed.
3) zero register initialization (Sketch amnesia) fixed.

optifix.zip
Scanner wrote:Well, we have a new working boot loader for the Uno SMD-editions with the 'flash amnesia' problem as well:
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/247
FWIW I've had success using this alternate method:

Instead of downloading avrdude and doing the steps in the "Programming the Target Board" section, you can do this:
  • Download https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/raw/ ... ega328.hex (as referred to in http://arduino.cc/blog/2011/01/20/issue ... d-edition/ ).
  • Replace the file in "<prefix>/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/optiboot/optiboot_atmega328.hex" with the downloaded file. (The prefix depends on your operating system. e.g. on a Mac the prefix is "Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/") (Make an optional backup first.)
  • Connect your programmer (or Arduino as programmer).
  • Select "Tools > Board > Arduino UNO".
  • Select "Tools > Burn Bootloader > w/ ...." and the appropriate programmer type.
  • Wait for bootloader to be uploaded.
This assumes that the new bootloader for the SMD is compatible with the non-SMD version also.

I did this and it Worked For Me.

--Philip;

Edit: Odd, the forum software normally warns when someone has added a post--guess I must have missed the one from westfw. :)
Hi everyone.

I got my Arduino UNO smd edition two days ago.
I've got the same problem : when I remove the power supply and then restore the power, the programme doesn't run anymore.
I tried to do what Philip said but I don' t know what is my programmer type. I have only the Arduino board and I upload my sketches via USB.

( I'm a french engineer studient in electronics so excuse me if i did any grammar mistakes ^^).
Cho wrote:Hi everyone.

I've got the same problem : when I remove the power supply and then restore the power, the programme doesn't run anymore.
I tried to do what Philip said but I don' t know what is my programmer type. I have only the Arduino board and I upload my sketches via USB.

( I'm a french engineer studient in electronics so excuse me if i did any grammar mistakes ^^).

Ok I did some research today and I tried to burn the bootloader with a AVR ISP MKii programmer but it failled. I will send back the board and ask for a new one :)
Cho wrote:
Cho wrote:Hi everyone.

Ok I did some research today and I tried to burn the bootloader with a AVR ISP MKii programmer but it failled. I will send back the board and ask for a new one :)

I don't think you have to send it back. They told me mine would be replaced as soon as they had new stock and I could use the new one to reprogram the old one...if I wanted to. I doubt I'll mess with it.
By SFE-Michelle
There seem to be quite a few questions on this post. So I'll try to answer as many as possible.

1. Yes there is a bad bootloader on a bunch of the boards we got from Arduino and sent out around the beginning of January. These are all SMD Unos and you should be able to fix them by reinstalling the bootloader. This is fairly simple if you have a AVR programmer or a working Arduino that you can program as an AVR programmer. I've written a tutorial on doing this and have successfully used both methods (using an thru-hole Uno for my Arduino programmer). If you don't feel comfortable doing this, don't have the equipment, or can't get it to work we will do an exchange for you.

Tutorial - http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/247

2. We are sending shipping labels to get back the defective boards to anyone in the states. Internationally it costs too much for it to be worth getting them back. In this case international customers get a bonus. To all the people in the states who don't think its fair, remember they usually don't get any cool stuff.

3. Thru-hole vs SMD. Blame Atmel! Seriously though there is a shortage of the DIP chips so the wonderful Arduino people in Italy decided to start making SMD boards since those were the only chips they could get in. They are still getting some DIP chips in and still producing and shipping boards but the vast majority are SMD at the moment. We also can not specify which board we want so while they might be shipping them we don't know until they get here. If you are ordering just the plain board there are 2 different SKUs for the different modules, but many of our kits are getting whatever we have. Just be careful when ordering and if you have any questions email tech support.