SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By ijourneaux
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide the context.

I am a volunteer with the US Curling Association. Many may have seen the coverage of the sport of curling during the Olympics. One could think of curling as "shuffleboard on ice".

In competitive events, curling uses sensor handles on the curling stones (donut shaped piece of granite about 12in diameter and 8in high) that detects if the competitor is still holding the handle when the stone crosses the foul line. If the competitor lets go of the handle before the fould line, an LED blinks green while if the stone is let go after, an LED blinks red and stone is removed from play.

The existing sensor handles work but they are very expensive, unreliable and we go through batteries liek crazy

In my review of possible approaches, it would seem that the Arduino might provide a platform for developing an open source version of the curling sensor handles that could be used by curling associations around the world.

At this point, the demand would be quite small as the handles are only used at competative events (due to cost, complexity/reliability) but if a simple design could be created that reduced the complexity/reliability and reduce battery consumption then use of the sensor handles could spread to individual curling clubs.

The key requirements are

1. way to detect the the competitor is still holding the handle. The handle is a molded PVC type plastic. The current sensor handle has a metalized coating where the handle is usually held. Ideally the metalized coating woudl not be necessary as it tends to scratch off over time.

2. way to accurately detect that the stone is crossing the foul line. The current sensor handle detects the presence of a magnetic strip that is embedded in the ice.at the fould line. Can't use a break eye here as the break eye would great triggered by other competitors sliding past he break eye at the same time as the stone.

3. way to activate the handle. Right now the handle is activated (looking for the foul line when the competitor turns the stone over to clean the bottom side of the stone before sliding the stone down the ice.

I am a chemical engineer by trade so I would struggle with the circuit design part for the sensors but can definitely handle the programming and mechanical design.

Appreciate any comments and or guidance on how I might be able to proceed.

EDIT: After doing some exploring on my part, I confirmed to myself that I can program the logic required to do what I need using a HALL Effect Magnetic sensor for the foul line, a capacitance detector for the hand/handle contact and a ball type tilt switch to activate the handle. Now the issue is battery life.

How much power does the Arduino controller use and how much will be required for the sensors? Is there a way to trun the power consumption on and off automatically without using a manual switch?