SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By dadams409
I am trying to get started with the arduino uno on windows, but am getting stuck on step 4 from the website. I am running windows 7, and when I try to install drivers for the Arduino UNO I am having trouble. When I go to my device manager I am not finding ports(COM&LPT). Arduino UNO is listed under other devices, but when I try to browse for drivers I cannot get to ArduinoUNO.inf , only the folder FTDI USB drivers. When I select that folder (with or without "subfolders included" checked), I get the message "Windows could not find the driver software for your device". I have tried using the add hardware wizard through DOS to add the ports(com&lpt) with no success.
p.s. I have just downloaded the most recent software for windows. (arduino-0021)
By leon_heller
You need the directory above the FTDI drivers, that is where the Uno driver is located; I had the same problem with a new Uno yesterday. They should have created a separate Uno directory.
By dadams409
"FTDI USB Drivers" is the only folder inside of the "Drivers" folder. The "mega" and "uno" .inf files are inside the "Drivers" folder, but when I go in the Device Manager -> Other Devices -> ArduinoUno. I then, right-click ArduinoUno -> Update Driver Software -> Browse my Computer for Driver Software -> \arduino-0021\drivers\FTDI USB Drivers -> Next -> "Windows could not find driver software for your device"
By dadams409
Got it. After countless hours I finally decided to put the .inf file inside of a new folder. then I was able to select that folder when installing drivers. Thanks for the help!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]