SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By unsped
im thinking about panelizing and cutting my own pcb's after they are made.

i currently use eagle pcb

what are you all using, and how happy have you been with it? im assuming most people are panelizing with a gerber tool, any cost conscious recommendations?

for cutting i was thinking you could even make a small table saw using the pencil flex shaft attachment if you can get a saw attachment with a decent enough diameter

also noticed this:

http://www.federalcomponent.com/hozan_p ... achine.htm

i would basically just make the same thing with the dremel stuff.
By propellanttech
We just purchased a Microlux miniature table saw from Micro-Mark.

It was expensive, but gives a very clean cut. The blades are also expensive at $57.00 each.

I think you would probably suffer less frustration going that route.

Just friendly advice.

James L
By propellanttech
Yep,

Those are the blades....I must have misquoted the price.

The reason we didn't buy the smaller, was because of the lack of diamond blades.

I think the blades should last for about 3000 meters (118109.9 inches)

So that should get a fair amount of cutting. This does depend on setting the blade speed correctly. To fast or slow and the blade will wear faster.

I do not recommend any blade with teeth, it would be real easy to almost loose a finger when cutting panels. (Can't fully loose one, the blade depth is quite shallow).

The diamond blade goes through FR4 like butter...and leaves a very smooth edge.

And one more item....you want a saw with a depth adjustment. If you ever want to cut a panel assembled, you may need to clear an over hanging part. With the small saw, you couldn't do that. We have the blade just barely piercing the material on top.

James L
By unsped
maybe i can pay lil brother to chop em up and send em back? hehe
By propellanttech
unsped wrote:maybe i can pay lil brother to chop em up and send em back? hehe
Well......we would do it....but shipping would get you after a while....with fuel on the rise.

James L
By unsped
prop sent you a forum mail.
By propellanttech
Got it and replied.

James L
By unsped
i would also be interested in paying someone to panelize gerbers for me.

something like a 8-10 unit array. each unit roughly 2.5 x 2.5 inches.
By propellanttech
unsped wrote:i would also be interested in paying someone to panelize gerbers for me.

something like a 8-10 unit array. each unit roughly 2.5 x 2.5 inches.
We probably wouldn't want to take this one. It is really out of scope for what we do.

You can look up Pentalogix Viewmate (the cheap version.....but does cost money) and it panelizes gerbers well.

I think you would get better mileage doing it yourself.

Just remember we require a .040 kerf for cutting the boards (.040 material taken away)

James L
By unsped
well i just kind of meant anyone hehe.

here is a test using gerbmerge freeware (command line python scripts)
http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~ster ... gerbmerge/

however for 50 bucks, the light version of the software you mentioned seems like a good deal.

the nice thing about germerge is that you could drop a bunch of projects into different folders, give it your end panel size and it will arrange them for you the most efficient way ... kinda like batchpcb'ish

By NleahciM
You can typically just score a PCB with a diamond blade or something similarly sharp and then snap them along the line. A paper cutter sort of device will work well too, though after repeated use the blade will get dull.
By Philba
I use gerbmerge - it's great. I wouldn't put money into anything else.

I use a metal shear for cutting PCBs. It works great - allows a highly precise and clean cut. Fast and safe, too. Costs a bit but I got a shear/brake for other purposes like making cases and bending the odd piece for projects. I can't imagine being with out one in the shop. using a saw to cut FR4 makes a nasty mess and even carbide eventually dulls up under the fiberglass onslaught.

by the way, if you are sending your PCB to a board house, they usually will v-score a panel for free to cheap. That's probably the best solution.
By propellanttech
Philba wrote:I use gerbmerge - it's great. I wouldn't put money into anything else.

I use a metal shear for cutting PCBs. It works great - allows a highly precise and clean cut. Fast and safe, too. Costs a bit but I got a shear/brake for other purposes like making cases and bending the odd piece for projects. I can't imagine being with out one in the shop. using a saw to cut FR4 makes a nasty mess and even carbide eventually dulls up under the fiberglass onslaught.

by the way, if you are sending your PCB to a board house, they usually will v-score a panel for free to cheap. That's probably the best solution.
Philba,

I agree with you on some of the points you make, but your methods wouldn't apply to a populated board. That is the reason for the saw method. It is not as messy as one would think. We use a vacuum attachment....and it takes 98% of the dust away.

Just depends on what your purposes are. Pre/post fabrication.

James L
By b_w_
There is always the $30 "multi-design" panel option at Gold Phoenix. As long as you only have 6 designs on a single panel they will step and repeat and depanelize your boards for you. Although as James points out that only works for pre-production (before everything's been soldered). But that does mean you can do insane pcb shapes that a step shear or saw wont do.

Brian