SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs

If you were to use LBL Assembly Service, What size stocked components would you like to see?

18%
No votes
0%
73%
I won't use passives you provide.
9%
I have no clue to the differences from above.
No votes
0%
By propellanttech
Here it is...the starting of our polls to find out what our customers want in terms of stocked passive components.

We are thinking about stocking a small range of standard use components for assembly. These components will only be passive.

We will only provide the ones used the most.

So let your wishes be known,

James L
Last edited by propellanttech on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MarkS
To be honest, I wouldn't want to be limited by your selection. What I mean by that is that I don't use 0201 components because I can't place them. However, if I were to use your service, I would probably have a board with several different sizes. You will get more business if you stock multiple sizes.
By propellanttech
MarkS wrote:To be honest, I wouldn't want to be limited by your selection. What I mean by that is that I don't use 0201 components because I can't place them. However, if I were to use your service, I would probably have a board with several different sizes. You will get more business if you stock multiple sizes.
Mark,

This is not really a limiting factor, for designs. You can supply whatever you need to be placed on your board.

We just thought we would stock some common placed items (0.1uF caps, 470 ohm resistors, etc.) to help reduce the amount of redundant ordering.

But we would want to keep those items in a size most people will design with.

I understand people do not want to prototype with 0201's.....it would be near to impossible to place them by hand. But people may want to put them on production runs to reduce "real estate" taken by their passives.

Just a thought,

James L
Last edited by propellanttech on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jasonharper
Hmmm, the only passives I use commonly enough to be likely to intersect your stock list are 0.1uF caps in 0805, and 10K resistors in 1206. I do not use smaller packages than that without a good reason, and there's almost never a good reason - all of my projects so far have had some constraint on minimum PCB size (having to fit in a chosen enclosure without sliding around, for example) that allows me to use reasonably large passives.
By propellanttech
jasonharper wrote:Hmmm, the only passives I use commonly enough to be likely to intersect your stock list are 0.1uF caps in 0805, and 10K resistors in 1206. I do not use smaller packages than that without a good reason, and there's almost never a good reason - all of my projects so far have had some constraint on minimum PCB size (having to fit in a chosen enclosure without sliding around, for example) that allows me to use reasonably large passives.
Jason,

Our proposal may not accommodate everyone.....and people have reasons for what they do.

We can't say at the moment what the results will reveal, only time and research will tell.

This is only a proposal for now. We will not implement it for a while (if at all). We will track what components are being placed by our machinery. We will have customers who do not frequent here, and their designs must be considered as well.

James L