SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By directgumby
Hello,

How do you show a no connect in Eagle?

I looked under some of the supply symbols thinking there may be one there... but I did not see one... anyone have an idea on how to best show that without connecting these NC pins to a NET so that the pins are not routed and connected on the board? ... or... Can I build a NET that is called NC but has no size or routing info defined for that NET?

Bassiclly to be fully complete on the diagram i'd like to show all connections and no connections...

Thanks,
Brett
By Andrew02E
I have (unfortunately) never seen a NC symbol in Eagle. To work around this, I just created my own. Here's what I did...

If you're familiar with libraries in Eagle, I'll summarize first:
Create a NC symbol, but do not create it using a pin symbol (draw the pin manually using the line tool). Then create a device using the NC symbol with no footprint. Now you can slap a NC symbol on your schematic wherever you want one and there will be no impact on your PCB.

For a step-by-step of how to do the above:
Open the library you want to put the NC symbol in or start a new library. Go to Library->Symbol... and enter a symbol name for it (ie. NC) in the 'New' text box. This brings you to the symbol editor. Draw the symbol however you'd like, but do not use the pin tool to add any pins to it. When you're done with the symbol, go to Library->Device... and enter a device name for it (ie. NC again). Go to Edit->Add... and select the NC symbol (or whatever you named it). Place the symbol where you want it (probably on the origin mark). Now go to Edit->Description... and add the device description (so you can find it in the schematic editor). I used 'No connect NC' for my description so I could find it if I searched for either 'No connect' or for 'NC'. Save the library. Woot!
Now when you need a NC symbol on your schematic, just search for NC and there you go!

Also, if you created a new library, you have to make sure you add it to the 'used' list under the Eagle control panel. If you edited a library while a schematic was open, you'll probably have to go to Library->Update... to make sure it's up-to-date.

Hopefully that answers your question. If not, let me know what I missed.
By directgumby
Thank you, it worked like a champ!