SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Tom-IP
I'm sure this is a really simple one, but I can't find the answer in the Eagle manual, or online.

I have a 2-layer PCB, created in the free edition, which I want to add a wire link to. I can't figure out how to do this (without leaving a wire partially unrouted).

Could someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!

Tom

PS1: by wire link, I mean simply a piece of wire linking two pads; effectively a zero-ohm resistor - is there another term for this?

PS2: is it me, or is the Eagle manual great once you know the specific keyword they use, and hopeless until that point?
By maf
Look in the standard parts library jumper/J/*. Use the library editor to copy and modify one of the supplied jumpers to the required length.
By Tom-IP
Thanks! That did it, although I was hoping for a technique that didn't require a change to the schematic (Eagle won't let me just drop the part on to the board, claiming it can't back annotate).

Cheers,

Tom
By henryhallam
When you're just working on a 1 layer PCB, or if you have the pro version, I usually put the wire link in as a track on another layer. Then the vias appear for you to solder the wire to.
By Philba
henryhallam wrote:When you're just working on a 1 layer PCB, or if you have the pro version, I usually put the wire link in as a track on another layer. Then the vias appear for you to solder the wire to.
you will probably want to increase the size of the vias if you do that.

note, this will require special instructions if you have the board made by a vendor though I assume you are making the pcb yourself.