SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By slide
I've been using Ealge for a little while now, but there are some things that I do (people have told me to do specifically) and I don't know why.

What is 'isolate' for?
Some footprints I have, when I smash them, and delete both labels, they always come back and I don't want them!
I have a gnd poly on the top layer and for any circular through hole connection it always just uses a couple straight lines, why doesn't it just surround the entire pad?
How can I get the gnd poly TO surround the entire pad so its not just the crosshair thing?
By bigglez
slide wrote: I've been using Ealge for a little while now, but there are some things that I do (people have told me to do specifically) and I don't know why.
Greetings slide,

EAGLE is a very powerful tool. I had done CAD (and manual layouts) before using it, but I found the learning curve to be quite steep.

slide wrote:What is 'isolate' for?
Isolate: Distance between polygon areas and other signals or objects in the Dimension layer (default: 0).

In other words, if you flood a layer to make a ground (or power) plane, this is the distance from the edge to other features (vias or pads, the board outlien, for example).
slide wrote:Some footprints I have, when I smash them, and delete both labels, they always come back and I don't want them!
Hmm. Not sure what you mean or intend. I also find the SMASH command confusing. Are you SMASHing existing parts or ones that you created (in the library editor)? Use SMASH to isolate the >NAME >VALUE text (so that you may move or delete then).
slide wrote:I have a gnd poly on the top layer and for any circular through hole connection it always just uses a couple straight lines, why doesn't it just surround the entire pad?
That is called a thermal. It is a break to stop the large plane form robbing heat from the via or pad when it is soldered. You can turn it off (Change -> Thermal -> On|Off). A board with planes and no thermals may be hard to solder.
slide wrote:How can I get the gnd poly TO surround the entire pad so its not just the crosshair thing?
Change -> Thermal -> Off

Comments Welcome!
By Philba
the deleting labels thing is a feature, not a bug. Not that I agree with the feature, though. You could just turn off the layers.

Smash is a very misnamed feature though I've often thought that there is no really good name for it. It seems to me that all lib devices should come pre-smashed,

I would not turn off thermals. they exist to make it easy to solder the pad. what happens if you don't have them is the surrounding copper sucks up a lot of heat and it takes a long time to raise the copper temperature to the point where the solder will flow.
By NleahciM
Philba wrote:the deleting labels thing is a feature, not a bug. Not that I agree with the feature, though. You could just turn off the layers.
It's always annoyed the heck out of me. I typically just delete one of the labels and drag the other off the PCB.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]