SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By propellanttech
Ok....I've done a large number of things with eagle...but I have a problem....and don't know how to get around it.

I have a circuit.....that one chip needs a very high end filter arrangement for it's power.....but it wants to place this power circuit in with the rest (VDD).

How can I isolate just that one trace to keep it from being merged into the normal VDD plane?

Any help would be appreciated,

James L
By busonerd
Just connect it to a net named something else? [aka, just connect a VDD_FILT net to that pin of the IC, and it won't automatically bond it to the VDD net then].

Cheers,

--David Carne
By propellanttech
Dave,

I understand the ic end.....but how do I connect it to the regulator without renaming the bus (net) to VDD.

I could go through a header or something.....

I'm not sure how to get a net from the regulator that is not named VDD.

It is quite confusing.

James L
By busonerd
er, so theres nothing in series with the reg in that power circuit?

In that case, not much you can do. I usually just run a trace by hand to where I want the join point, then live with the DRC error.

Cheers,

--David Carne
By propellanttech
OK.....that brings us to another question.

How do I run a trace....when I have no airwires.

I can't find the setting for this. The program only let's me lay traces for airwires.......

Thanks Dave....your such a help,

James L
By busonerd
I just draw a wire [wire tool, not route], then NAME it to whatever name I want it to have.

If its not quite connected, a quick RATSNEST will cause an airwire to be shown between the wire drawn on board, and the pad.

Cheers,

--David Carne
By propellanttech
Dave,

That worked...thanks....couldn't figure it out....must have not been holding my tongue(sp?) the right way.

I'll be submitting a new design shortly.

James L