SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By ling1995
Hello~all :D

I am a newbie in PCB design,and I would like to ask you your thought about the article--" How to optimize the thermal design of printed circuit board layout",I saw it from a google blogger.
In the paper, it describes how to use thermal simulation to optimize the heat dissipation performance of PCB board. The PCB plate is locked in the chassis by a wedge and is forced to air cooling on the radiator fins outside the chassis. Under some harsh environmental conditions, according to local ambient air temperature and heat conduction as the main way of cooling, how to achieve normal junction temperature has become a major problem. It divided into six parts to explain its article core,"why--Initial layout scheme--Design goals and limitations--Thermal simulation--Response surface--Conclusion", you know,this article has no any comment.So I am confusing about if it's a good article and it has a right view.

The article link I have already added,please tell me you thought about it.Thank you very much. Any wrong in grammar please forgive me.

Thank you again.
By JohnRob
HI,
The link did not work for me but from you description it sounds like an aerospace related article. I've never seen such a design outside of Military Aerospace electronics. My guess is its a fine article but does not apply to the hobbyist.

John
By radcliffkaty1
JohnRob wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:27 am HI,
The link did not work for me but from you description it sounds like an aerospace related article. I've never seen such a design outside of Military Aerospace electronics. My guess is its a fine article but does not apply to the hobbyist.

John
Same here, but @ling1995, you can get help from some technical experts of electronics manufacturing industry like BEST Inc, AccuPack, CA Design etc.
By davidjackson
If PCB design partially or even totally fails to meet the thermal requirement, electronic devices will definitely suffer from damage risk or even failure. Constantly growing integrity of circuit modules and massive applications of ICs and multi-chip module (MCM) contribute to the improvement of component assembly density which thereafter leads to the higher density of heat flow on PCBs. High-quality PCBs not only derive from accurate and rational layout and routing but also rely on high thermal reliability for secure operation. Therefore, it's of much significance to implement comprehensive thermal dissipation rules and analysis on PCBs.