SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By genifycom
Forgive my ignorance please. If I look at QFN-16 ICs, there are (at a minimum) two different pin layouts. A 4 pins per side arrangement and a 2x5 and 2x3 pin arrangement.

What is the industry standard to distinguish between these two?

I ask because parts.io lists my IC as "Package Description VQCCN, LCC16,.12SQ,20". NXP lists it as Case 2094-01. Searches seem to show that these are manufacturer or distributor specific.

When looking for an adapter, they all just list QFN-16 (3 x 3 mm body, 0.5 mm pin pitch) which could be either pin arrangement.

Thank you for any guidance.
By FredC
QFNs are usually complicated because their connections are usually at the bottom of the chip.
By n1ist
I have only seen the 4x4 arrangement. I'd guess a 3x3mm body would be for the 4x4 pad version and the other version would be a rectangular package.
/mike
By InactiveUser001
Unfortunately the manufacturers rarely standardize.

Take SOT23 for instance, there are about 50+ variations on it.

Take your parts datasheet, enter the component dimensions into the PCB libraries Library Expert and produce a footprint for your CAD package. The free version should enable you to do this quickly and easily.
By FredC
mattylad wrote:Unfortunately the manufacturers rarely standardize.

Take SOT23 for instance, there are about 50+ variations on it.

Take your parts datasheet, enter the component dimensions into the PCB libraries Library Expert and produce a footprint for your CAD package. The free version should enable you to do this quickly and easily.
Good idea. A free version will simplify the process for you. But in the datasheet some revisions may differ depending on the current version.