SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By wilykat
EDIT: deleted link. Got it figured by moving one chip to the back side.

I have a limited space inside the TurboExpress to work with and the resulting PCB with 2 ICs and a connector plus a few caps is giving me a bit of trouble. No matter how I arraigned the chips, had them top or bottom, or such the best I can get with auto route is one wire incomplete. The final version I had manually set using "tname" to draw a line between 2 vias for wire jumper to be added. However OSHPark rejects it as incomplete because of one air wire.

I am using free version of Eagle so I can't do more than 2 layered boards and I can't do my own fab (rudimentary work area, limited dual sided experience, and no way am I drilling or connecting over 100 vias.)

Do you have any idea? The clearance isn't much, about 1 cm at most and I need some space to run the ribbon cable from the 38 pin solder pad. I could probably replace the 3 caps with SMD versions if that may help, 2 are only used for DC coupling and one on the reset line to prevent noise from triggering reset prematurely.

The chip I am using is a propriety HuC6201 which is probably CPLD (serves as address watchdog, connects the game to the 2k SRAM bank at $8000 when condition is right, otherwise isolate SRAM to avoid data corruption) and a Ferroelectric RAM (FRAM), of which 32k is the smallest available so 4 higher address lines are locked to ground to keep it at 2k to retain compatibility with the original HuC6201. (the alternative is to use regular 2kx8 SRAM + 1 farad capacitor + diode and there isn't enough room for those!!)

TIA for any suggestion or help.