SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Spork Schivago
Hi,

I'm trying to print my circuit board on transparencies but I'm having some issues. It seems to be printing the solder mask as well as some other problems. On the top side, I have some SMD caps. When I hide the top layer, it still shows the outline of the SMD caps from the top layer. How can hide these? Also, the LED symbols are showing. I believe this is called the solder mask layer. Can anyone suggest the various layers I should turn off to print just the traces, pads and via's so I can print the board on transparency and then transfer it over to a photoresist board? Thanks!
By Spork Schivago
I think I got it. This is what I have turned on:

Top board:
Pads
Vias
Dimension
Holes
101 - 255

Bottom board:
Bottom
Pads
Vias
Dimension
Holes
101 - 255

Does this sound right? Anything else I need to do? Thanks!
By Ross Robotics
I will finish the video tutorial tomorrow on this topic.

Another suggestion would be to get a Gerber viewer and print them from there.
By Spork Schivago
Ross Robotics wrote:I will finish the video tutorial tomorrow on this topic.

Another suggestion would be to get a Gerber viewer and print them from there.
Okay, instead of just printing them from Eagle like I've been doing? I watched some video from a guy who was doing something similar to what I'm trying. He was using a laser printer instead of a ink jet and was using some fancy chemicals and stuff. I might have to invest in a laser printer and experiment with different things. I was thinking of drying this dry photoresist film. It seems to be a lot cheaper than presensitized boards. I saw in his video though that he had crosses in each corner (off the circuit board) so he could line up the bottom and top sides of the transparencies real easy like. I just used the Wire button to add these but I wonder if that's the correct way to do it or if I should be doing it another way.

Thanks for making a video about this Ross Robotics! I can hardly wait to watch it!
By davep238
Spork Schivago wrote:I think I got it. This is what I have turned on:

Top board:
Pads
Vias
Dimension
Holes
101 - 255

Bottom board:
Bottom
Pads
Vias
Dimension
Holes
101 - 255

Does this sound right? Anything else I need to do? Thanks!
You shouldn't print layers 101 - 255. They are garbage. Since you are drilling the board yourself, run "drill-aid.ulp". This narrows the printed hole so that your drill bit will center in the hole easier after the board is etched.