SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By ezflyr
Hi All,

I'm designing a PCB with Eagle 6.4 to go in a Hammond 1593L enclosure, and I need to make four notches around the periphery of the board outline to provide clearance for the cover mounting bosses/screws. I've been wrestling with this for a couple of hours, and I've yet to come up with a fool proof method to add notches of a specific width/depth/radius at specific locations on my board outline. Any tips?

John
By lyndon
What have you done? Making a notch is just drawing the line a certain way. Start with a rectangular outline and then using the Break tool, change the line shape where you want notches.
By Ross Robotics
What lyndon says, and to add, Eagle has a measurement tool for precision.. Google will have tutorials for this.
By ezflyr
Hi,

Thanks, I was inspired to flail around a bit more, and I came up with a solution, albeit a painful one!

First, as far as I can see there is no 'Break tool' as was suggested. I assume you mean the 'Split' option for the board outline? That works, but it's a lot more painful than it needs to be, IMHO. I guess I'm spoiled by working with some of the PCB tools we have at work?

I started by making the rectangular notches in the outline, and then superimposing a hole over them to show the proper radius for the notch. I then fudged with the end line settings to get them to match, and finally deleted the reference hole. I was never really able to figure out what the 'Curve' setting on a line does, but once this project is out the door I'll dig into that a bit more and figure it out. In the meantime, I've got a deadline to keep......!!

Thanks,

John