SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By phalanx
The big difference between the two methods is the first one creates a package from scratch using information from the datasheet and the second method modifies an existing package using an imported image of your part as a reference. Combining a symbol and package together to make a device is the same process for both methods. As to what is better, it depends. For lower pin count devices, the first method is fine since there isn't much work to do. As devices get larger, the overhead of taking the photos, editing them, importing them, and fixing their scale becomes less significant and can improve your overall design time.

That said, I've never actually used the second method to modify packages. I do on occasion use the second method to create complex board shapes from other drawings since I find Eagle's drafting capabilities a little clunky.

-Bill
By InactiveUser001
For another method (based on making one form the datasheet), you can take the component making out of the equation by simply using the footprint expert light from pcblibraries.com which is free and outputs to Eagle.

You pick your footprint family, enter the details from the datasheet, make any tweaks in values then create a footprint that Eagle can use.
Simples.

(This is not an ad - this is a recommendation.)
By RiiC
mattylad wrote:For another method (based on making one form the datasheet), you can take the component making out of the equation by simply using the footprint expert light from pcblibraries.com which is free and outputs to Eagle.

You pick your footprint family, enter the details from the datasheet, make any tweaks in values then create a footprint that Eagle can use.
Simples.

(This is not an ad - this is a recommendation.)
Thanks for this information, really appreciate it. I am new to electronics and decided to learn a few things that might be important or useful in some projects i may attempt. Currently i am trying to familiarize myself with Eagle and schematics. One thing i notice so far though, is that, some of these IC are so small, 4mm width with 4 pins, reflow soldering must be a real magic for these to not touch each other.
By Ross Robotics
reflow soldering must be a real magic for these to not touch each other.
It's not magic, it's physics.. Read up on reflow and you will see what happens the way it does. Granted, it's not a 100% success rate..