SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By CJnis
I have a set of non plated mounting holes on my board. They need to be a 3,2mmD hole but i need a 6.3mm isolation. I however dont want to change the isolation on other plated holes,vias etc. is this possible?

The way i am doing it now in the pic below is i have the hole at 3.2 and put a trestrict circle with isolation to gain the extra isolation needed. will this work and be acceptable by a boardhouse?

Do i just put the trestrict layer in the toplayer cam job file? Also i want to add a note of it just to be sure. Should i just include a instruction text file with the gerbers or make a tdoc job file with the instructions and also write 'do not print tdoc on board"
By Ross Robotics
Yes, you can use tRestrict to do what you want. But what about the bottom layer? If you use tRestrict, then you don't need to give the fab house any instructions. Another suggestion would be to make that hole a library. Especially, if you plan on using more than once.

As for your last question, what house are you using? I believe the tRestrict layer gets added automatically. So you don't have to do anything special. To check your Gerber files, use a free Gerber viewer and check them..
By CJnis
codlink wrote:Yes, you can use tRestrict to do what you want. But what about the bottom layer? If you use tRestrict, then you don't need to give the fab house any instructions. Another suggestion would be to make that hole a library. Especially, if you plan on using more than once.

As for your last question, what house are you using? I believe the tRestrict layer gets added automatically. So you don't have to do anything special. To check your Gerber files, use a free Gerber viewer and check them..
awesome . Yea i have it added on trestrict and brestrict. it wasnt preselected in any of the gerber job files however i manually selected it on the top layer GTL and brestrict in bottom layer GBL.

The hole has a drill and its also on the dimension layer. The dimension layer (board outline) i did through a SCR since its a custom shape so all the holes are added at once.
By davep238
"awesome . Yea i have it added on trestrict and brestrict. it wasnt preselected in any of the gerber job files however i manually selected it on the top layer GTL and brestrict in bottom layer GBL."

Actually, you do NOT want to include tRestrict and bRestrict in your Gerbers. If you add these layers, your Gerbers will have a thin copper ring around your hole, which will be confusing. This ring may or my not be obliterated by the drill. It may create a DRC error for the board house. If you view your board in EAGLE with the Restrict layers turned off, you will see that the copper pour is spaced away from the hole, and that's all you need. If you use a Gerber viewer, such as GCPrevue (it's free), you will see what I mean.
HTH