SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By carpenterdev
Using Eagle 6.6.0 Light on Win8.1.

In schematic I'm trying to add component USB_MICROB_PLUG_SMT, from the Sparkfun-Connectors/USB folder, but am getting error "Device USB_MICROB_PLUG-SMT has unconnected pin (G$1/SHIELD)". See my attachment

Anyone solve this yet? Seems like I could edit the symbol and make a change, but not sure what change to make.

Or, does anyone know a component with the same footprint that I could use instead? The drill holes are important to me.

Thanks,

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Ross Robotics
I just added that part to a schematic and didn't have that error. But, I might have fixed it in the past.. I have attached my copy of the connectors library. Just unrar it and over write your old one. I know I have fixed several other connectors in there..

NOTE: I am running version 6.5. I don't see a reason to upgrade...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By uChip
I am running Eagle 6.6.0 and just confirmed the error with the latest version of the SparkFun libraries on GitHub. When I opened the library for edit several of the packages for the USB_MICROB are showing that error. It must have been a check added to the later version of Eagle.

Editing the library to connect ANY of P$6, P$7, P$8 or P$9 to G$1.SHIELD will cause Eagle to not throw the error. Electrically all four of the pins are connected to shield, but there's just the one connection in the symbol.

I just did a quick scan of the other components in the connector library and that is the only one with the unconnected pins.

This is worth filing an issue on GitHub if you are so inclined.

- Chip
By carpenterdev
codlink wrote:I just added that part to a schematic and didn't have that error. But, I might have fixed it in the past.. I have attached my copy of the connectors library. Just unrar it and over write your old one. I know I have fixed several other connectors in there..

NOTE: I am running version 6.5. I don't see a reason to upgrade...
Thanks codlink - that worked for me. It's a bigger component than I expected. I wonder if it represents the footprint needed for this component? : http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch ... 0238617656

Bob
By carpenterdev
uChip wrote:I am running Eagle 6.6.0 and just confirmed the error with the latest version of the SparkFun libraries on GitHub. When I opened the library for edit several of the packages for the USB_MICROB are showing that error. It must have been a check added to the later version of Eagle.

Editing the library to connect ANY of P$6, P$7, P$8 or P$9 to G$1.SHIELD will cause Eagle to not throw the error. Electrically all four of the pins are connected to shield, but there's just the one connection in the symbol.

I just did a quick scan of the other components in the connector library and that is the only one with the unconnected pins.

This is worth filing an issue on GitHub if you are so inclined.

- Chip
I'll have to learn what it takes to submit a Github issue - I'll try tomorrow evening.

Thanks,

Bob
By Ross Robotics
Link is 404.
By Ross Robotics
The library part you have listed here is for this connector, http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hir ... cF4A%3D%3D

For the part number you listed, I didn't find a matching Eagle library.
By carpenterdev
codlink wrote:The library part you have listed here is for this connector, http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hir ... cF4A%3D%3D

For the part number you listed, I didn't find a matching Eagle library.
That explains why what you gave me earlier was larger than I expected.

I wonder what footprint I could use for the Digi-Key P/N ZX62WD1-B-5PC? I'm thinking the USB-MB-H would work. It looks like the attachment.

Thanks,

Bob
By Ross Robotics
The part you stated is SMD, the image is through hole..

Why do you want to use an uncommon part? This Ebay listing for 10pcs Micro-B Female connectors is .99?

Then you can use a common Eagle library part, USB-B-MICRO-SMD_V03 under USB Micro-B Plug
By carpenterdev
codlink wrote:The part you stated is SMD, the image is through hole..

Why do you want to use an uncommon part? This Ebay listing for 10pcs Micro-B Female connectors is .99?

Then you can use a common Eagle library part, USB-B-MICRO-SMD_V03 under USB Micro-B Plug
It goes through opening in an ABS case and will see some weather. Need to seal the USB housing to the ABS case. It won't be connected during the exposure period, but need to minimize leak potential.

I guess I'll have to make my own symbol.

Thanks,

Bob