SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By opolychr
Hello people,

I am making some new projects right now in EAGLE and I would like to know if a generic library exists that includes all the common packages (footprints) of chips and components (like DIP, SSOP, etc) so that whenever I create my own library for some components i just copy the package that fits to my library and connect it to my symbol.

Regards
By Ross Robotics
It's easy to make libraries in Eagle. Why do want to design your own Symbols? There is a library for every component made before a month ago. The only components you would have to make a library for would be the newest ones or one that isn't very common. I am getting the feeling that you want to make a library, use other peoples designs and then claim them as your own.
By opolychr
codlink wrote:It's easy to make libraries in Eagle. Why do want to design your own Symbols? There is a library for every component made before a month ago. The only components you would have to make a library for would be the newest ones or one that isn't very common. I am getting the feeling that you want to make a library, use other peoples designs and then claim them as your own.
I am sorry but I wasn't aware of this library! Where can I find it?

I neglect the other comment you made...Why in the world would I claim other peoples designs as my own? Who would sell CAD footprints?? I just need to do my work!!
By Ross Robotics
I neglect the other comment you made...Why in the world would I claim other peoples designs as my own? Who would sell CAD footprints?? I just need to do my work!!
I just had the feeling that is what you were doing. I apologize for my mistake.

Eagle comes with a huge assortment of default libraries. If you are looking for Sarkfun's list of what they use, You can download this library https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun-Eagle-Libraries. Refer to this link if you have ay trouble with Github, https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37006. You can also search for Adafruit's library on Google.

A list of common used components and the name of the library:

rcl - resistors, caps, polarized caps and much more..
pinhead - every header configuration that is on the market
Atmel/AVR - Every Arduino chip on the market
switches - self explanatory
supply - All positive and negative symbols used in schematic design

Just look through all the other libraries and see what they have. To organize the libraries, you can move the libraries that you know you will never use into another folder like the Elektro one. Then right click the library and uncheck "Use." This will make sure that library doesn't show up for the "Add" function in a schematic. This cuts down on loading all the libraries and alot easier to find what you're looking for.